g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Unofficial Releases

Unofficial Releases Mostly poor sound quality, but occassionally really good - let's get your reviews and recommendations on what's available out there.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep-25-2007, 11:52 AM

Norway

Lightbulb What do Glenn think about bootlegs?

Have anybody asked Glenn about this? I know Ian Gillan and Roger Glover of Deep Purple think it is OK for the fans to record and trade shows (not sell). But I have never heard about what Glenn thinks of bootlegs.

Cheers
Tore
Old Sep-25-2007, 12:19 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,864 Posts
Glenn's been quoted all over the place that he doesn't have a problem with folks taping and trading. It's just when money is exchanged there's a problem. Obviously, a studio recording based bootleg is a whole different story, ala '8th Star' or some of the H/T early demos for the follow-up back around '83.

So in general and based on what he's said in the press, I would say the answer would be 'no problem'. Good question though, will follow-up with that one for the official '2007' answer As it could be argued that file sharing is also bootlegging - it's not as clear cut as it used to be!
Old Sep-25-2007, 12:46 PM

Norway

Originally Posted by David View Post
Glenn's been quoted all over the place that he doesn't have a problem with folks taping and trading. It's just when money is exchanged there's a problem. Obviously, a studio recording based bootleg is a whole different story, ala '8th Star' or some of the H/T early demos for the follow-up back around '83.

So in general, I would say the answer would be 'no problem'. Good question though, will follow-up with that one for the official '2007' answer As it could be argued that file sharing is also bootlegging - it's not as clear cut as it used to be!

In my opinion file sharing is not bootlegging, just stealing... Bootlegs are, in my opinion, live recordings made by fans. And you have official bootlegs as Deep Purple had made (many, many, many times). I used to trade a lot before I got kids, guess I have 400+ deep purple and related shows.

The reason I asked is that I have a soundboard recording of most of the Alta gig, but the Carl Swan (manager, a wery nice guy, as was the whole band & crew) asked me not to trade it, and I promised not to do so (and will not unless he say different).

Cheers
Tore
Old Sep-25-2007, 12:57 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,864 Posts
I think you made the right choice Tore
Old Sep-25-2007, 5:15 PM

USA

I do remember Glenn saying at one time that he hoped that no one would bootleg the Shape 68 material..and, correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that ever happened. The Internet can cause a lot of trouble when material get leaked out and easily disseminated to the masses; witness Eighth Star or Journey's Arrival CD.

Personally, if something is available I would rather buy it than get a burned copy from someone. I don't need something that badly that I have to rip off the artist to get it.

Let me put this out there. You have something that is out of print or want something that is unavailable. Is it OK to share it then? Where does the line get drawn? I see people selling out-of-print CD's for breathtaking amounts of money on e-Bay. Even the Amazon marketplace is in on the action. You want Bad Company's Live In Alberquerque CD which was withdrawn supposedly because one of the band members didn't give the necessary clearances ?? 300 bucks and it is yours!!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Sep-26-2007, 4:35 AM

Japan

As from economic principles point of view, when an item is in a short supply, it is quite natural for the price to be higher. However, if a serious listner/fan is desperately looking for an OOP item, it is not fair to sell it at such a high price. As long as the item is OOP, it may not damage the copyright so much as the item was available. In my conclusion, exchanging files for OOP items is to be approved.
Old Sep-26-2007, 10:09 AM

Netherlands

Thumbs up

Why not release a live cd after every tour as a website only and/or tour souvenir like Freak Flag Flyin'.

Old Sep-26-2007, 11:03 AM

UK

Bootlegs

I think Marillion have it right.......firstly, their last two albums were financed by the fans themselves, via the website. The pre-order payments covered the cost of making and distributing the albums. I think this is a very financially viable way of operating. Also they produce, on a low budget, many live CDs of their gigs on their own label "Racket Records" which have sold very well. Maybe Glenn should consider this method using his own Pink Cloud record label? He could (prior to a tour) canvas the fans for numbers of pre-orders for a live CD of the tour, and subsequently use the cash from Pre orders to finance the CD. Everyones a winner that way? And things like Freak Flag Flyin would be a regular release.

dpurpleface's Sig:The rock gets rockier - whilst the Funk gets Funkier!!!
Old Sep-26-2007, 2:20 PM

Norway

I love live recordings, and if an artist that I was a fan had put on a website that they would give out a fans only live recording from the tour I would gladly pre order it. But I think there shuld be a whole show, and no overdubbing.

The Purple fanclub have put out old recordings for fans only and I love them, even though I have most of them as bootlegs I buy them anyway. Would love if Glenn did this (maybe there exist a good recording of Glenn with Sabbath).

Cheers
Tore
Old Sep-26-2007, 2:24 PM

Norway

Icon41

Originally Posted by captmidnite1962 View Post
...snip...
Let me put this out there. You have something that is out of print or want something that is unavailable. Is it OK to share it then? Where does the line get drawn? I see people selling out-of-print CD's for breathtaking amounts of money on e-Bay. Even the Amazon marketplace is in on the action. You want Bad Company's Live In Alberquerque CD which was withdrawn supposedly because one of the band members didn't give the necessary clearances ?? 300 bucks and it is yours!!

I think I would have bought it (not the Bad company CD, but Purple or Sabbath)... But I do not know if I would share it. But I know I would NOT sell copies of it, maybe give away copies to die hard fans, well knowing they would buy it if they got the chanse..

Cheers
Tore
Old Feb-29-2008, 9:00 AM

USA

This is always a touchy subject as everyone has their opinion. Personally, I think each potential bootleg has to be approached and judged. I do not think you can simply lump all into one category. Being continentally challeged living on the east coast in the US, It is extremely hard for me to see a Glenn Hughes live performance. Having 3 kids, a job and a mortgage it is tough to travel further than a 2-3 hour car ride. To be able to hear a GH performance, a live bootleg is potentially my only option. Taking that into consideration, would I buy something that I knew the artist had a problem with? I would counter that with this: If the artist was able to play locally and I chose not to pay to see him, shame on me. If the artist cannot play locally for whatever reason, should I be penalized for wanting to hear a live performance?

Food for thought

Maz

BTW, I love the buy it now live official bootleg series that some venues now do. i much prefer to be ableto purchase a live recording a a show i was at or could not attend rather than a t-shirt or a poster/sticker. I would love to see Glenn do some of these. We get a cd and he gets some of the proceeds
Old Feb-29-2008, 1:08 PM

USA

even if it could be something like Kiss did last time i saw them, an "instantlive C.D." before the show, you paid your money and got a voucher, and after the show, they have them recorded and hand them out to voucher holders. I have an Allman Bros. c.d. like this too.
i'd gladly sign up and give my money if glenn would take pre-books at the beginning of each tour to help produce and pay for a live cd/dvd. in the visual world we live in, dvd is what we all seem to want. i'd pay $ for either of the L.A. or New York shows on cd or dvd hell id pay to have both of them
Old Feb-29-2008, 6:16 PM

USA

This would make a good poll question: Who would purchase an instant live Cd from Glenn either in person or online through official means........

Maz
Old Mar-01-2008, 4:12 AM

USA

Icon32

....I would.

Chip
Old Mar-01-2008, 9:02 AM

USA

Gov't Mule posts all of their live shows on their Mule Tracks web site, usually within a couple weeks after the show itself. I saw the band here in Boise a couple months ago, and about a month ago I downloaded the actual show I attended, complete with artwork. It cost $12 or so, and is a wonderful souvenir from a great show that I actually attended. And what did it cost Gov't Mule to provide it to me? Not a hell of a lot - I used my own CDR's, my own paper and my own jewel case. All they did is host the show on their server.

Conversely, there is a site called The Music.com which has offered both CD's and DVD's from tours by bands like The Who and Genesis. Angie and I saw The Who in 2006, went to the site and ordered CD and DVD versions of the actual show we saw. What a great memento to have!

Cheers....Todd

toadsterama's Sig:Stand up and shout!
www.JeffScottSoto.com
Old Mar-01-2008, 12:36 PM

USA

with modern technology, i dont know why every artist cannot, or is not doing this. I wonder what Glenn thinks about this? certainly, i would be burnin' up my credit card buying copys of c.d.s and dvds, especially with a shuffling of the set list from show to show. I wish he would
Old Mar-01-2008, 2:57 PM

USA

Icon33

So would I - without a doubt! He could offer quality soundboard recordings for a nominal fee, and you could download them, burn them, etc. Glenn gets money from his music, with VERY little overhead, and fans get to collect shows that features songs they might never have heard live. Or shows they actually attended. And with Glenn offering quality soundboard recordings himself, he'll be the go-to source for live recordings.

Todd

toadsterama's Sig:Stand up and shout!
www.JeffScottSoto.com
Old Mar-01-2008, 4:20 PM

Finland

Sounds like a good idea, I hope Glenn gives this a thought.

Arnito's Sig:"It's not what you say, it's the feeling that's the song"
Old Mar-01-2008, 4:42 PM

USA

does anyone remember a few years back when Pearl Jam released a ton of live bootlegs? Not sure how they did but I'll bet it curbed the illegal bootleggers Pearl Jam sales.

There has too be a way Glenn could do this and make some money off his live perfomances. Being a global artist and having fans around the world, if this post is becoming any indication, I'm sure it would be successful

Maz
Old Mar-02-2008, 5:01 PM

USA

the cult and string cheese insident also did that recently. i think i've seen other bands simulary listed in different order books i've seen come through my music store. there must be some kind of viable way to do this.
Old Mar-03-2008, 8:36 AM

USA

Right off the bat, I think that "an Archives attack"
could free up a vast number of GH performances,
(which were professionally taped or video-ed) even
before the word "bootleg" comes into the conversation.

"The Velvet Sessions" at the Hard Rock Hotel in Orlando,
Florida, (March 2003) comes to mind, since I was there.
There were a couple of guys at a sound board, and a guy
crawling around the stage and through the audience with
a shoulder-held video camera, during the entire performance.

Why should a few employees of the HRH get to see
this fantastic performance, when Glenn's fans can't?
Could one phone call and some "financial finagling" do the job?
I hope so..........

Old Mar-03-2008, 4:51 PM

USA

Grace

I agree, I was also at that show and it is a shame that only a few have heard it. It was one great show and one I would gladly pay for.

Maz
Old Sep-14-2010, 10:24 PM

USA

Originally Posted by dpurpleface View Post
I think Marillion have it right.......firstly, their last two albums were financed by the fans themselves, via the website. The pre-order payments covered the cost of making and distributing the albums. I think this is a very financially viable way of operating. Also they produce, on a low budget, many live CDs of their gigs on their own label "Racket Records" which have sold very well. Maybe Glenn should consider this method using his own Pink Cloud record label? He could (prior to a tour) canvas the fans for numbers of pre-orders for a live CD of the tour, and subsequently use the cash from Pre orders to finance the CD. Everyones a winner that way? And things like Freak Flag Flyin would be a regular release.

I agree. Marillion is an awesome example of getting music to their fanbase and trying to create a cashflow for themselves. I have had excellent service from their online site. I am glad to see that artists are trying to take back control of their music in this way.
Old Dec-03-2010, 7:50 PM

USA

Icon40

nothing wrong with bootlegs as long as no money is exchanged for them, i actually miss the tape trading days of the 80's
Old Jan-03-2011, 12:48 PM

Sweden

Originally Posted by Arjen View Post
Why not release a live cd after every tour as a website only and/or tour souvenir like Freak Flag Flyin'.

Don´t know much about what it takes to record a concert but why not
give the people who attend to the concert some sort of paper where they can
send in a "want that concert" bay the show they was on and then sell them a copy?

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Unofficial Releases

Share Thread

Tags
2003, 2006, 2007, albums, bands, David, Deep Purple, glenn, Glenn Hughes, journey, press, related, tour, Video, win