g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun-29-2007, 5:58 PM

USA

Arrow Steve Perry: Finished

Steve Perry of Journey all but admits he is done singing in this article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19463531/site/newsweek/

Have there been requests for you to sing the song in public again?
Yes, and I've respectfully declined at this point. Journey have been performing it with several singers since we parted ways in 1998. I could go out and do it myself if I wanted, but I won't.

Why?
I want to protect the integrity of the songs, keep them the way they were when we were together. We were good together and what we did was good. That's my timeline of the stuff that matters.

In other words, since he can't sing them correctly anymore, he doesn't want to ruin the memory of him being able to sing them (the way Bob Seger does these days) . I have total respect for the man, not tarnishing his legacy. And I miss Steve so much....I went to see a Journey tribute band last Fri and halfway through started thinking it's such a shame the original guy can't pull it off at all anymore. Sad. I'm always thankful that Glenn is out there doing it year after year for us, creatively and live. Why isn't Steve Perry? Check out this list of old tour dates, that's the answer. Brutal!

http://www.geocities.com/digital_journey/jrny-tourdates.html

John
Old Jun-29-2007, 6:52 PM

Japan

As from a fan point of view, I have never thought how tough it was to have a long road of tours like this.... I would go crazy when I am told to do the same thing in this way I think I know why he would not sing anymore.

I must say that I am lucky as Glenn is still there and is so keen to sing for us
Old Jun-30-2007, 12:42 AM

Sweden

Steve is probably my favorite singer so I also think it's such a shame he's gone into retirement. He's apparently writing with Nuno Bettencourt now, but I doubt those songs will ever see the light of day. He's been away from the scene for such a long time now. Still, I was surprised that he sounded this good in 1994:
YouTube Video

Did you catch that tour John?
Old Jun-30-2007, 9:31 AM

USA

journey

It really is impressive that glenn has been able to maintain his vocal strength. The NYC show proved that!
Up until last year, I did not like Journey at all. Being into harder stuff in late 70s and 80s, I dismissed them as cupcake outfit better suited to high school proms, etc. I have completely changed my opinion and consider them so pivotal in the sound of that era.
Old Jun-30-2007, 2:35 PM

USA

Hello Everyone,

As a Journey fan, it is sad that Steve will never be back & that
he probably can't sing as well as he used to. Too many singers
just don't sound as good as they once did like Coverdale & Dio
among others. You really can't compare Glenn to Steve. Steve did
many world tours as a lead vocalist for many years which took
it's toll on his voice while our Glenn didn't do much of anything from 1978-1982. He then did about 6 shows with Hughes/Thrall, then didn't do much until 1986(Sabbath) where he did 6 more
shows. He then did a few here and there from 1986-1992 until
he became clean and sober and put out the Blues album and began to tour again. Even with Purple from 73-76, he did part of the vocals. So that is why his voice is still in such great shape.
Glenn didn't tour hardly at all from 1978-1992, so his voice should
be in much better shape plus he takes better care of himself now
since 1991 then most singers do. I am just glad we have him
to enjoy and jsut love all that he does. He just keeps getting
better and better doesn't he?

Cheers,

galleyfan

galleyfan's Sig:SCOTT
Old Jul-01-2007, 3:54 AM

USA

Maybe Perry is referring to this:

YouTube Video

He was still singing well in 94 if you look up the FLOTSM tour. True, Glenn might have half his voice too if he was touring like this in the 80s.
Old Jul-01-2007, 2:19 PM

USA

When Steve "sang" DSB at the White Sox game, he had been cheering and celebrating the game and the win. He was HOARSE!? Geesh!

I believe Steve was responding to the recent outcry for a Journey reunion due to the Soprano episode and the departure of the Band's short term lead vocalist. At this point he said he has no desire to rejoin them. It's no secret there is deep seeded bad blood between Perry and his former bandmates.

The rumor about Steve's voice problems was circulated by the Band's former manager in a bitter attempt to discredit Perry. Apparently he succeeded because many repeat it as fact. Those closest to him have said over again that Steve's voice is a good as it has ever been.

He is currently working on new music with Nuno Bettencourt.

And, Don't Stop Believing, a Reunion may happen. Never, say, never. There are many indicators it may be in the works. Steve, Cain and Schon never revealed the Soprano ending to anyone, before it aired! Never, say, never and NEVER count Steve Perry out!
Old Jul-02-2007, 9:12 AM

USA

Icon33

I think that Steve Perry would have a problem living up to the high expectations people would have of him, if he came back. Steve still sounded great, last I heard, which was on the 'Trial By Fire' album with Journey. But that was a decade ago, and as far as his voice goes these days, I can't help but think of the old adage "use it or lose it". Chances are slim that Perry has even remotely the same range and power that he used to have.

I'm hopeful that the new writing with Nuno Bettencourt comes to fruition. Nuno needs a higher profile project, and Perry needs a strong writing partner. His last solo album was boring as hell.

Todd

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
1978, 1982, 1986, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1998, album, glenn, Hughes/Thrall, journey, solo, solo album, tour, win, YouTube