g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Purple Days

Purple Days Talk about shows, setlists, albums, share your memorabilia...past and present.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan-02-2006, 2:13 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,383 Times in 2,492 Posts
Icon34 Jon Lord Interview

Here's a snippet from an interview broadcast on December 28th, 2005 with Jon Lord with host, Bob Harris, over at BBC Radio 2.

Jon talks about the impact of the punk era ('75/76) and Purple's demise at around that same time with mentions of GLENN, David Coverdale and Tommy Bolin, although not all that complimentary at times....plus the fact he's no longer with Deep Purple (!!) and his plans for a new solo CD.

You can listen to the entire interview by going here.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 jonlordbbc122805.mp3 (3.05 MB, 79 views)
Old Jan-03-2006, 11:23 AM

Finland

Icon37 Lord blaming Glenn and Tommy...

...hmmm I quess it isn't really fair to blame Glenn and Tommy of Deep Purple's demise. I've understood that also him and DC had a little bit of a drinking problem...?

I quess those two - toxic twins - might have been more quilty, but I doubt no one was innocent...

...and what did their management do - nothing! That's something I still can't understand - they must have seen the problems...or they were blind! Would be interesting to interview them...hmmmm...

T
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
liver2.jpg  
Old Jan-03-2006, 12:29 PM

USA

Icon49

Very interesting comments from another.........
Mr. Formerly of Deep Purple.

But Jon Lord said that Roger Glover "left" DP in 1973.
In the BBC documentary "Deep Purple People"
Roger Glover said that he was fired.

Somebody oughta' get all of these guys together
and have them decide on which / same story to tell.

Thanks for posting this, David.
Old Jan-03-2006, 1:34 PM

UK

i listened to this and got the impression that the interviewer thought he was still in Purple! he said he looked at DP website and saw all the live dates and was amazed they played so much. obviously no idea about what they have been doing for the last few years.

and yes Grace, everbody else including Roger has said he was fired. i'm sure on one dvd/video Roger says Ritchie was the only one to apologise for him getting kicked out saying it was "just business"

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Jan-03-2006, 1:59 PM

USA

Originally Posted by wolfysmith
and yes Grace, everbody else including Roger has said he was fired.
i'm sure on one dvd/video Roger says Ritchie was the only one to apologise
for him getting kicked out saying it was "just business"

Yeah, Paul.......that was the BBC documentary.
Roger Glover ALSO SAID that Jon Lord hurt him the most,
because RG thought that Jon was his friend, and nobody
had the decency to tell him PERSONALLY that he was fired.

"Just business" my foot.
Not when you've lived and worked together for several years, as DP Mk2 did.
It was VERY PERSONAL; at least, at the time, it was to Roger Glover.

Old Jan-03-2006, 4:30 PM

Switzerland

Icon21

The story with Glover reminds me a bit of the story with Simper....some people never learn. Yes, they should have told him that they want to get rid of him and why. Although I have respect for Jon Lord, I don´t know why he tells the story that way. Hmmm...maybe his remembrance becomes slowly weak??? The thing with Tommy and Glenn is another story. We all know that Glenn, and surely Tommy too, were slowly losing ground in a way, there´s no need to deny that. We all love GH and what he achieved personally and musically in the meanwhile. But that doesnt mean that his behaviour back then was always the best. He surely became a bit of arrogant, Glenn himself did never deny that in later interviews.On every concert, live recording or filmed concert everyone can see and feel the gap between the Hughes/Bolin fraction and Coverdale/Paice/Lord. Of course, this was part (not the only reason) of why they finally broke. There´s no need to deny that.Sure, there were also other reasons, the difference of the musical background for instance and the further direction in which this would lead to and so on. But the term of "cabaret" which Lord used, isn´t that wrong at all. There were times when Bolin and Hughes did a kind of parody when they performed the older DP tracks. I´m sure, a lot of you will disagree with what I said and want to cut me into pieces but that is just my opinion. We will never know the whole truth, the games which were going on behind the curtains ect. so it will always hard to judge from an outside position, what really went wrong.

Im looking forward to read all your other comments about this thread.

bye for now, Lisa
Old Jan-03-2006, 4:57 PM
schreinermusic

Hi Lisa,

first of all: NO, we will not cut you into pieces.....
Everyone is free in having his very own point of view on this board.

Even I like what GH and TB had on impact to DP, musicalwise, it was quite clear that would lead into a crash one day plus with the combination of "ego", "drugs" ect. But there were surely lots of minor and major other reasons why it finally broke into pieces. Basically, I have to agree to what you said.
We are all happy that Glenn survived and got back to earth again, showing what pure willpower can achieve. A sober man with inner balance, happy to live and write music everyday. What he presented us during the past 12 or 13 years now, healed a lot of wounds of a lot of people. But why should young people not do any mistakes? Its human. For me, all these stories about the 76 split I did bury the day when I heard Hughes and Coverdale performing "Burn" on the NAMM show in 2000. In this moment, the old chapter got finally closed, for me.
Its a good thing to talk about the good and the bad things which did happen in the past and with no misleaded desire of protecting anyone. However, we cannot change it anymore, neither can Glenn ....

Rest in peace Tommy! We still love you....

Achim
Old Jan-04-2006, 2:13 AM

UK

I think Jon Lord is telling it as it was, we all know of the problems that GH and TB had at that time. Ultimatley you have to want to change, no management or other band member can do it for you. Fortunatley Glenn got more time to work this out than Tommy!!!
Old Jan-04-2006, 6:21 PM

USA

i think your right grace
Old Jan-05-2006, 7:02 AM

USA

Icon49

Well, tony g, when you watch the BBC documentary,
you can hear how hurt Roger Glover was, at that time.

There's also a moment, later on in the video, where
Jon Lord mentions that he wasn't too proud of the fact
that the remaining DP band members (himself included)
acted in a very shabby manner. I.....think.....that he used
a phrase something like: "We were cowards."

This video also has Glenn saying that Ritchie didn't like
"the shoe-shine music" that he and DC brought to the
Deep Purple sound.....which tends to make me
NOT Mr. Blackmore's greatest fan
Old Jan-05-2006, 1:05 PM
schreinermusic

Icon30

Regarding the Glover issue, you´re totally right, Grace. I´ve seen that documentary too. You can still feel a kind of pain about it in Glovers words. Very sad. But I cannot agree about the Blackmore "axe" above .....Blackmore always said that he mostly likes the straight forward rock music (beside classic) and not the the type of smooth, funky, rocky and souly kind of thing which for example "You Cant do it right" from the STORMBRINGER stands for. There is nothing bad about it, he has any right to speak his mind and to express himself in a style which is the most suitable for him. I dont agree with Blackmore, I like these kind of DP music very much BUT I respect his opinion.
Sorry, but I just dont like this kind of black and white thinking...

P.S. My sympathy for the victims and their families of the mining desaster in the US.

have a good one,
Achim
Old Jan-07-2006, 7:07 AM

UK

It's true that Jon Lord was telling it as he saw it at the time. But there are also other factors which are being conveniently skated over by a man with a very good interview technique and seemingly devoid of good manners.

Jon Lord made little or no active songwriting contribution to CTTB. He allowed Tommy and Glenn and a bit from David. Was it because he wasn't interested or was it because he and Paicey needed them to cock it all up so that Lord could come out smelling of roses? The fact is that CTTB was a good recording. It was the resulting tour that eventually led to the widening of the cracks.

But what would be gracious, and this really does irritate me, is that he couldn't act like a gentleman of the world and say something positive about what Glenn is doing now which is FAR superior and happening than anything that Jon Lord produced in 2005, with his boring jazz jams and those painful pub singalongs round the old piana with the open toed sandal brigade drinking gallons of warm ale.

It really makes me haul sometimes. Sorry folks. I have alot of affection for all Jon did with Purple, the symphony and loved Pictures Within, but it kind of confirms my own rule that rock stars should do their talking on disc or on a proper stage where it matters.

Glenn, take no notice. We don't!
Old Jan-07-2006, 10:21 AM

USA

Originally Posted by schreinermusic
But I cannot agree about the Blackmore "axe" above
.....Blackmore always said that he mostly likes the straight forward rock music
(beside classic) and not the the type of smooth, funky, rocky and souly kind of thing
which for example "You Cant do it right" from the STORMBRINGER stands for.

So when DP was looking for a RG replacement bass guitarist,
they listened to this Glenn Hughes guy from Trapeze, and asked
him to join the band.
THEN.........
RB discovered that Glenn was severely into the funk sound?
Same with Coverdale. You get a singer who's sings a bluesy/
rock sound. You shouldn't act surprised if he composes and
sings bluesy/rock songs. Deep Purple knew what they were
getting when they added Glenn and DC to the line-up........

Quote:
P.S. My sympathy for the victims and their families
of the mining desaster in the US.

Achim......we all live on one, very small planet.
Thank you for mentioning this.......may they rest in peace.

And sincere sympathy to the families of those people
in Bavaria, when the roof collapsed on that ice skating rink.

Grace
Old Jan-08-2006, 1:18 PM
schreinermusic

Grace,

thanks for your kind words about the Bavarian incident!
The sad thing about it was that 12 of the 15 victims were kids.

About the GH DC topic, I must agree to your words totally. You are right, you should have known what to expect. As you can see, everything can be viewed under different angles

Looking forward to meet you and all the other at the GHPG FREAK CONVENTION!!!

cheers, Achim
Old May-10-2007, 8:43 AM

USA

Jon Lord---crotchety old geezer

I wish Jon would just lighten up on the Mk 4 thing...Imagine trying to replace Rithie Blackmore, and you're 23 years old and American..Tommy had a gigantic pair to tackle that assignment, and he excelled beyond expectations...In my opinion, CTTB was a superior album to Stormbringer...It had a fresh, open sound that was absent in Stormbringer...Glenn said that the band broke up due to "sex, drugs and rock n roll". Jon supposedly ended up shagging Glenn's chick...Glenn ended up with Tommy's girlfriend Karen...Basically, you had the old guard of Ian and Jon who were older and already stacked with cash...You had the young guns with Tommy and Glenn, and they were into exploring life and music...David was caught in the middle and the center couldn't hold..I remember well in high school in 75-76 that there was this whole Mk2,3,4 debate going on as we sat on the hoods of our cars during lunch period...It was a scene right out of the movie Dazed and Confused....I was a Blackmore defender and was totally unwilling to accept anything but...A friend forced me to listen to CTTB through his Marantz receiver and tower speakers at ear shattering volume.....After that mega plex, lead break in the middle of Comin Home, I was converted..I had never heard such playing, so percussive and yet with such a ballsy, stratocaster bite to it....Tommy was just great....Jon, in other interviews, remembers Tommy fondly, but this interview left me a little cold....

Originally Posted by LisaFunkSW View Post
The story with Glover reminds me a bit of the story with Simper....some people never learn. Yes, they should have told him that they want to get rid of him and why. Although I have respect for Jon Lord, I don´t know why he tells the story that way. Hmmm...maybe his remembrance becomes slowly weak??? The thing with Tommy and Glenn is another story. We all know that Glenn, and surely Tommy too, were slowly losing ground in a way, there´s no need to deny that. We all love GH and what he achieved personally and musically in the meanwhile. But that doesnt mean that his behaviour back then was always the best. He surely became a bit of arrogant, Glenn himself did never deny that in later interviews.On every concert, live recording or filmed concert everyone can see and feel the gap between the Hughes/Bolin fraction and Coverdale/Paice/Lord. Of course, this was part (not the only reason) of why they finally broke. There´s no need to deny that.Sure, there were also other reasons, the difference of the musical background for instance and the further direction in which this would lead to and so on. But the term of "cabaret" which Lord used, isn´t that wrong at all. There were times when Bolin and Hughes did a kind of parody when they performed the older DP tracks. I´m sure, a lot of you will disagree with what I said and want to cut me into pieces but that is just my opinion. We will never know the whole truth, the games which were going on behind the curtains ect. so it will always hard to judge from an outside position, what really went wrong.

Im looking forward to read all your other comments about this thread.

bye for now, Lisa

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Purple Days

Share Thread

Tags
1973, 2000, 2005, album, bass, David, Deep Purple, glenn, Glenn Hughes, solo, tommy bolin, tour, Trapeze, Video