g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Purple Days

Purple Days Talk about shows, setlists, albums, share your memorabilia...past and present.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan-05-2007, 3:08 PM

UK

Icon34 Hughes and Coverdale? I dunno!

What has happened to DC's voice? Being a fan going back many moons (well up until he hit those mid-80's MTV years) and listening to Mr Coverdale and the bizarre sound of his voice these days (especially when compared to how well Glenn's voice has not only withstood the test of time but matured and evolved over the years) I think any kind of future collaboration/reunion between them would be regrettably one-sided and to be honest embarrassing!
Old Jan-05-2007, 4:39 PM

USA

Honestly, I don't think Coverdale's voice was ever in the same class as Glenn's. He had the look and swagger of a front man, but that is really all. While his voice was good, it was not in a league with Glenn or JLT or others like Paul Rodgers. DC was an image...at least that is how I see it.
Old Jan-05-2007, 4:59 PM

USA

DC always had such a great, naturally soulfull voice, and I think he ranks right up there with Glenn in that regard, but technically he has always been somewhat lacking..too nasal in his upper register for starters. I read he gave up smoking a couple of years back which, of course, is great news however, the years of that awful habit made him really lacking in stamina as well. So the combination of those two factors have really done their damage over the years...in my opinion. Still, I'll always think of him as one of the greats and, as a vocalist myself, a tremendous influence early on.
Old Jan-06-2007, 6:27 AM

USA

Originally Posted by Rob D View Post
DC always had such a great, naturally soulfull voice, and I think he ranks right up there with Glenn in that regard, but technically he has always been somewhat lacking..too nasal in his upper register for starters. I read he gave up smoking a couple of years back which, of course, is great news however, the years of that awful habit made him really lacking in stamina as well. So the combination of those two factors have really done their damage over the years...in my opinion. Still, I'll always think of him as one of the greats and, as a vocalist myself, a tremendous influence early on.

You nailed that one Rob D! Speaking as a former smoker of 18yrs. of menthol cigarettes, I know it was taxing on my voice as well.My voice constantly changed and i was nasal most of the time and i had sore throats and colds often as well.DC may not have the voice he used to have but, he still is concert,cd and dvd worthy.
Old Jan-06-2007, 9:14 AM

UK

If you hear Bob Dylan's recent live shows I think you'll find the nasal quality is still there. But his speaking voice on the radio shows is fascinating. As you say, an old man's voice.

Regarding DC, I like his voice best when he sings in a lower register. On the recent Whitesnake dvd he does this occasionally and I still think he's great when he does. However, I don't like his higher register screaming when he sounds like Robert Plant. DC never could scream or sing high pitched as well as Glenn. The old California Jam dvd shows some fairly embarrasing attempts on his part and his live singing at that stage compared so unfavourably with Glenn's. I've often wondered what Purple would have been like if they'd had the courage to become a four piece with a singing bass player.
Old Jan-07-2007, 4:30 AM

UK

DC in lower register is still a great vocalist (Love is Blind and Wherever you may Go) from his Into the Light CD being casing points.

However, Whitesnake is a business and I feel this is the only avenue that DC can follow that will be lucrative for him.

UNLESS Deep Purple Mk 3 becomes reality!!!

I think this would be Ok as a one-off but it would be a shame if this jeopordises the wonderful momentum that Glenn has built up over the last few years.

GH is the only person in the Deep Purple 'family' that is still RELEVANT!

Stay Fun(ky)
Mikey D
Old Jan-07-2007, 10:55 AM

Netherlands

Quote:
DC in lower register is still a great vocalist

I fully agree...and thats why I like the acoustic live album and DVD "Starkers in Tokyo" so much
Old Jan-07-2007, 11:32 AM

USA

GLENN
Old Jan-07-2007, 1:14 PM

UK

Sorry guys, but DC's voice has been shot for years. I saw him guest with Thunder at Hammersmith Odeon in the early 90's and his voice was gone then.

I also saw him on the Whitesnake tour from 2 years or so ago and his versions of Burn and Stormbringer were vocally awful.

He shoudl retire gracefully, put out the odd record and live happily ever after.................or does he need the money?
Old Jan-07-2007, 1:43 PM

UK

Cool

I wouldn't care if DC's voice is 'not even in the same league' as Glenn's. They've both been awesome frontmen and key players for all of my adult life and it would be an absolute honour to see them both together again. And one day it will happen. I can wait.

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Jan-08-2007, 12:29 AM

Spain

This is the eternal discussion.David Coverdale has a great feeling and his voice is wonderful.Glenn's voice is different,higher and powerful.I think Glenn's voice is the best voice I've never listened in my life.
Old Jan-08-2007, 1:04 AM

Slovakia

Originally Posted by MISTREATED View Post
This is the eternal discussion.David Coverdale has a great feeling and his voice i wonderful.Glenn's voice is different,higher and powerful.I think Glenn's voice is the best voice I've never listened in my life.

I fully agree with words above. To me nobody sings like Glenn.
... and I don't like much comparing two different singers, that has different voice/range abilities. Both of them sings well on their own way, and both of them sound interesting in various types of songs. That's why we have music or not? Could you imagine everybody sing like Glenn ... same voice, same range, same style?
Old Jan-08-2007, 1:17 PM

UK

Hughes and Coverdale? I dunno

I totally acknowledge all these responses, I'm just curious as to the what the concensus of opinion is. Is any future formal collaboration between Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale a good and viable idea, given how the pasage of time has been particularly kind to GH and not so much to DC.
Old Jan-08-2007, 1:32 PM

Netherlands

To be honest: Im not waiting for such a collaboration....
Would have been nice in the eighties but certainly not now....

I rather see Glenn spending his time on his solo stuff which is getting better and better by the release.
Old Jan-08-2007, 2:58 PM

UK

Hughes and Coverdale? I dunno

Absolutely! my sentiments exactly. Way back when, there was a time when it would have had so much potential. I wonder now if DC realises now that his voice placed alongside GH's in any kind of collaboration would only highlight the conspicuous difference in the quality of their singing.
Old Jan-09-2007, 7:52 AM

USA

Icon49

I've been quietly reading this thread,
while drinking my morning coffee from my........

Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale hugging each other after the 2000 Mark and Brian
radio show sponsored Christmas charity performance photo coffee mug.

I'm glad to see that nobody posted the 'ole official party propaganda line........
Glenn must not look backward, only to the future. Blah, blah.
In the past, Glenn has worked with eleven-teen gazillion musicians.
Mostly anybody would be "looking into the past."
Cripes.......even Jeff Kolman and Chad Smith would qualify as "the past."

Anybody complaining that after 20 years, Glenn got back with Tony Iommi?
We got the "Dep Sessions" and "Fused" out of that "Back to the Future" collaboration.

Would I want to see Glenn work again someday with John Norum?
Patch things up personally and musically with Gary Moore?
Re-create some new magic with "the Swedish guys" of "From Now On"
"BJL" and probably my favorite bootleg (OOPS) "Burn in Europe?"
Yes. Yes. And Yes.

So we come to David (Whitesnake forever) Coverdale.
He and Glenn wrote some snappy tunes together when they were only 5 years old.
In the years since then, they've both learned an extra thing or two about singing.
And not being a professional musician, I certainly know that technology has advanced
light-years ahead of where it was in the mid 1970s.

GH and DC aren't just pretty faces in Kansas, anymore.
They know their craft; and they would both know their way around a recording studio.

This Time A-round, they would easily be able to overcome any physical or technical obsticle,
and end up giving us GH - DC fans an album that would still knock our socks off.

We've already got that great photograph of our 2 favorite purple boys SMILING together.
Notice that they both made the correct fashion statement of rock star black outfits,
with lovely, yet subtle, Deep Purple accents
This picture would do nicely as the cover artwork for the new CD, titled:
HUGHES ~ COVERDALE
STILL MOVIN'

David....any chance that you could finagle that picture here? ----->

Maybe they could even recruit an elderly, semi-retired, white haired gentleman
(rumored to be their illigitimate father) to come into the studio,
and get him to shake up a Hammond or two.............

It's gonna' happen.
Grace
Old Jan-09-2007, 9:43 AM

USA

I'd welcome it. I love Into the Light. I think DC is an all-time great. If DC sings in the lower register, I think it would be a magical album. Grace I agree with everything that you wrote.
Old Jan-09-2007, 10:13 AM

USA

Icon49 The Righteous Brothers & The Purple Brothers

Originally Posted by gman View Post
If DC sings in the lower register, I think it would be a magical album.

Who was the musical genius who thought to put (practically an operatic basso-profundo)
Bill Medley and (boy's church choir) Bobby Hatfield together in the 1960s? And there hasn't
been another song NEAR IN HARMONIC QUALITY to "You Lost that Lovin' Feeling" since then.

GH and DC singing a cover of this........that bird would definitely fly.

And Arjen mentioned the video of "Starkers in Tokyo."
(Highlight: DC can't get the right notes for AVs "Burning Heart"......"never heard of it." Ha, ha.)
That's exactly what I'm talking.
Lock the two of them up in a studio.
Turn all the equipement knobs to the extreme right "on" position.
Listen, watch, and be amazed............
Old Jan-09-2007, 1:53 PM

UK

Aren't GH & DC the 'Unrighteous Brothers' ?

Stay Fun(ky)
Mikey D
Old Jan-10-2007, 1:04 PM

USA

Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
I totally acknowledge all these responses, I'm just curious as to the what the concensus of opinion is. Is any future formal collaboration between Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale a good and viable idea, given how the pasage of time has been particularly kind to GH and not so much to DC.

This is an unfair comparison. From 1976 to 1993, DC was actively recording and touring his arse off. During that same timeframe, GH made far fewer appearances on record and, especially, on stage.

Imagine trying to sing to 10,000 people (or more) over all that amplification night after night for nearly 20 years. It shreds your vocal chops. GH returned to routine activity (recording and touring) in 1993-ish and has played primarily clubs and small theaters since then. Thankfully he has taken such good care of his voice and is playing sensibly-sized venues to maintain it.

Many of the rock singers who've been touring the huge arenas for 20 years have lost a step or more, vocally. Robert Plant and Ian Gillan are the most obvious examples. Even former air-raid sirens like Bruce Dickinson aren't hitting those high notes like they used to.

Brian
Old Jan-11-2007, 9:24 AM

USA

Originally Posted by equinox91 View Post
Even former air-raid sirens like...........

I think that my Dad would refer to this as "an elegant turn of phrase."

But I agree with you completely about the damage that years of touring did to DCs voice.
Old Jan-18-2007, 3:00 PM

UK

Hughes and Coverdale? I dunno!

I acknowledge what you are saying Brian. There was a time that no one came close to outshining DC as a frontman. His vocal performance on Northwinds is still to this day unsurpassed. DC was an outstanding singer and I caught Whitesnake everytime they visited my neck of the woods in the late 70's early 80's. He was an honest and passionate purveyor of blues rock, but his business acumen seems to have taken over and image is now bigger priority than the music. It just saddens me to see him now as a mere cliche and former shadow of the indomitabe frontman he once was was.
Old Jan-18-2007, 3:36 PM

UK

Bear in mind DC has had more than one serious throat infection, especially the one between Slide It in and 1987 which required surgery and many believe (including I) that he's never managed to recover fully from. I think he was lucky to sing again and get the 1987 album out.

For me equinox hit it on the head with his analysis.

DC must have done at least 2times the gigs glenn has since DP split up and many of his songs he really went for it - Mistreated for example. One of his ears is really mashed and he'll probably have an aid very shortly. Cant expect the voice to get off scot free and at 55 he's not doing badly at all. Glenns voice is magical but if he'd been active since 1976 with all the Georgia screaming that would have entailed, then we may have two slightly croaking old crooners, not just one!

PS - Jbyrne; Micky Moody in 1983 said Coverdale was too business orientated so its hardly a new thing!
Old Jan-19-2007, 10:02 AM

UK

Hughes and Coverdale? I dunno!

Valid points, absolutely! I just think DC should be more like his natural self. I agree with Andrew Steed, his lower register stuff, phrasing etc. is bang on. The rest, well he's just trying too damn hard!
Old Jan-31-2007, 3:35 AM

Netherlands

Originally Posted by mister.c. View Post
DC must have done at least 2times the gigs glenn has since DP split up and many of his songs he really went for it - Mistreated for example. One of his ears is really mashed and he'll probably have an aid very shortly. Cant expect the voice to get off scot free and at 55 he's not doing badly at all. Glenns voice is magical but if he'd been active since 1976 with all the Georgia screaming that would have entailed, then we may have two slightly croaking old crooners, not just one!

I don't agree to that opinion. DC most of the time sings with a technique that is very much damaging to the throat. You can hear the difference between his 'talking' and his 'singing'. And he's doing that since 1973.

Glenn restarted touring intensively after the age of 40. I do not know a singer who is capable of that. And I think his voice gettin' better over the years?!?!

Cheers

Old Feb-01-2007, 5:30 AM

UK

Originally Posted by Gio View Post
I don't agree to that opinion. DC most of the time sings with a technique that is very much damaging to the throat. You can hear the difference between his 'talking' and his 'singing'. And he's doing that since 1973.

Glenn restarted touring intensively after the age of 40. I do not know a singer who is capable of that. And I think his voice gettin' better over the years?!?!

Cheers

And cheers to you Gio but I'm a little unclear; which bits dont you agree with?
DC doing 2 times the gigs? - check out the tour info and look how much DC and what types of gigs DC did before he was 40
DC not going for his songs? - have a listen at some of the boots.
One of his ears is mashed - said in a recent interview about the aid
At 55 DC is not doing too bad?
I really cant imagine if Glenn had toured as DC did from 76 onwards, in massive arenas from 84 to 91, screaming tunes as he was in 1976, whilst canabalising his body with massive drugs excess that his voice would be as magical as it sounds now. When he restarted in the mid 90s, he'd 'grown up', knowledge about looking after yourself and your voice has improved massively, and he has looked after himself well - the result, is that voice NOW.

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Purple Days

Share Thread

Tags
1970, 1973, 1976, 1983, 1987, 1993, 2000, album, bass, california jam, Chad Smith, cover, David, Deep Purple, glenn, Glenn Hughes, solo, tour, Video