g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun-17-2006, 2:41 PM

UK

little feat

Originally Posted by toadsterama
Anyone else here dig Little Feat? I've always known of them, but never actually listened to them. On a whim, I picked up their Live From Neon Park disc, and I'm having a ball spinning that thing - it's a funkified rock and blues party, drenched in New Orleans soul. Superb.

Next up? The band's revered 'Waiting For Columbus' live disc, featuring the late Lowell George.

Cheers...Todd

Hey Todd are you kidding? These guys played on the same bill as Trapeze back in the late 60s-early 70s. I remember the boys coming back off one of their 10 week tours to the US with the Dixie Chicken album. They were a major influence on Trapeze after that. If you listen to the self titled "Trapeze" album. I think it was the last record that Glenn appeared on with the band – have a listen to "Nothin' for Nothing" and you'll see what I mean.
I went with Mel last year to see the present incarnation of Little Feat in Wolverhampton. It's the original line-up minus Lowell George of course and they were somewhat disappointing. I've got a very early boot of a radio broadcast they did in 1973.
Put 1973–04–10 Ultra Sonic Studio Hempsted into your search engine and enjoy what the Feat were all about . . . Enjoy!
PS Lowell George was a founder member of 60s West Coast outfit The Turtles, then was in Zappa's Mothers of Invention directly before forming Little Feat.
Old Jun-17-2006, 2:49 PM

UK

Originally Posted by wolfysmith
Didnt see you Saturday Alibongo but looks like youve been playing the lineup.

Currently listening to Soul Mover in anticipation!

Also recently:

Journey - Greatest Hits Live
Journey - Escape
Bolin - Whips n Roses
Brad - Shame
Brad - Discovery Park
Walter Trout Band - Relentless

Hi Paul, I had a company called Publicitywise in 1980 and did the merchandise for Journey on their inaugural European tour promoting the 'Infinity' album. Went out on the German dates with the band which included Neil Schoen and other founder member Greg Rollie. Did you Know they were founder members of Santana?
Old Aug-19-2006, 3:01 PM

Italy

Lightbulb What are you listening to right now?

I've got "Chances Are" by Johnny Mathis keeping me company as I get work done - I love me some Johnny Mathis!
Old Aug-20-2006, 6:21 AM

UK

Icon32

Originally Posted by conchita67 View Post
I've got "Chances Are" by Johnny Mathis keeping me company as I get work done - I love me some Johnny Mathis!

Wow!! Don't we GHCPs have diverse tastes?? I think it's fantastic that most of us embrace music as a whole, and not a particular genre.

Last weekend it was ALL things Glenn, and this weekend I'm listening to Elliott Smith's From a Basement on a Hill (there's a track called Coast to Coast on there ) and Sufjan Stevens' Avalanche, both of whom I was introduced to quite recently. Yesterday it was Maria Callas. ... and I've got Linkin Park's ReAnimation and Collision Course in the car.

Music, in all forms, is an outburst of the soul.

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Aug-20-2006, 11:47 AM

UK

All & everything Black Crowes after some time letting the CDs collect dust!!
A couple of Jamaraquoi CDs have also been belted out loud in the car to & from work
Cheers
Ben
Old Aug-20-2006, 11:52 AM

Austria

Originally Posted by Shirl View Post
Wow!! Don't we GHCPs have diverse tastes?? I think it's fantastic that most of us embrace music as a whole, and not a particular genre.

Last weekend it was ALL things Glenn, and this weekend I'm listening to Elliott Smith's From a Basement on a Hill (there's a track called Coast to Coast on there ) and Sufjan Stevens' Avalanche, both of whom I was introduced to quite recently. Yesterday it was Maria Callas. ... and I've got Linkin Park's ReAnimation and Collision Course in the car.

Totally, Shirl - I thought about that when I looked at my own playlist today:

Beats International - Let Them Eat Bingo in the morning...

Roger Hodgson's first solo album before I left to the café around lunchtime...

Philip Lynott's Lost Recordings somewhere between the café and the H.R. Giger exhibition here in Vienna...

Harvey Andrews - Writer Of Songs, a wonderful folk album from 1972 before dinner...

and Alaska - The Pack right now.

Well, that's a mixture!!!???

Originally Posted by Shirl View Post
Music, in all forms, is an outburst of the soul.

Thank You, Shirl

Christian

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA

Old Aug-20-2006, 1:19 PM

USA

Icon27 A little of this...and a little of that!!

I have about 400 CD's burned onto my computer since I haevn't been able to set up my sound system properly due to having moved several times in the past 3 years.... I can't listen to one genre for too long, I need to recharge on something else. The latest selections on the Cyber Juke Box have included;

Deep Purple- The Book Of Taliesyn
Tempest- Living In Fear
Grand Funk Railroad- Live The 1971 Tour
John Coltrane- A Love Supreme
Love- Love Story 1965-1972
James Gang- Rides Again
Back Street Crawler- Second Street
Allan Holdsworth- Hard Hat Area
Marshall Tucker Band- Tenth

Conchita, you mentioned Johnny Mathis. There is a station in the area that plays "The Music Of Your Life" and Mister Mathis is often a featured artist on their playlist

And John, you mentioned Ultra Sonic Studios...They were in Hempstead about 8 miles from my hometown of Baldwin. WLIR 92.7 FM used to record a lot of bands live at the studio....Little Feat was taped there several times and several tracks showed up on the Hoy Hoy collection. The Iron Butterfly recorded all the instrumental tracks for the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida album there as well.

The late Ollie Halsall was the guitarist on the second Tempest album having joined the band just before Allan Holdsworth's departure. I understand that there is an anthology of the band that includes all the cuts from their 2 LP's, and unreleased track and a BBC In Concert show with both Ollie and Allan on guitar....need to pick that up!!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Aug-20-2006, 3:29 PM

Italy

Originally Posted by captmidnite1962 View Post
And John, you mentioned Ultra Sonic Studios...They were in Hempstead about 8 miles from my hometown of Baldwin. WLIR 92.7 FM used to record a lot of bands live at the studio....Little Feat was taped there several times and several tracks showed up on the Hoy Hoy collection. The Iron Butterfly recorded all the instrumental tracks for the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida album there as well.

WLIR....the Screamer of the Week....Malibu Sue.....what memories I have of the late great WLIR....
Old Aug-20-2006, 8:25 PM

USA

Icon33

I've been on a Journey kick lately, as I've been taking in a few of the shows on the tour. Jeff Scott Soto is kicking ass and taking names, I might add.

Aside from various Journey, here's a bit of what's been making the rotation on the ol' CD player:

Def Leppard - Yeah!
The Storm
Tony Carey - Island and Deserts
The Pretty Things - Silk Torpedo
Rick Springfield - Written in Rock
Brian Bromberg - Metal (instrumental solo "guitar" album played entirely on piccolo bass - WHOA!)
Steve Smith's Vital Information - Fiafiaga

Cheers....Todd
Old Aug-20-2006, 9:05 PM

USA

Originally Posted by conchita67 View Post
WLIR....the Screamer of the Week....Malibu Sue.....what memories I have of the late great WLIR....

Another WLIR fan !!! Thought we were a truly dying breed.
CaptMidnite even has mentioned Times Square Stores in the past...
I think we need to get together, drive over to White Castle or Wetson's while blasting some DP on the stereo, and then head down to Club Lido for a show !! Maybe go visit the old A & S Parking Lot and see what has become of that
Old Aug-21-2006, 12:20 AM

UK

I listen to all kinds of music, except country. I am an owner of 176 CDs and I rotate them.

Aishah Bowron
Old Aug-21-2006, 1:57 PM

Italy

Originally Posted by FCinnella View Post
I think we need to get together, drive over to White Castle or Wetson's while blasting some DP on the stereo, and then head down to Club Lido for a show !! Maybe go visit the old A & S Parking Lot and see what has become of that

Does White Castle still exist? The only one I ever went to was the one on 86th street and Stillwell Ave, not too far from where I used to live, and where scenes from Saturday Night Fever were filmed.

Only 8-track tapes are allowed in the stereo!
Old Aug-22-2006, 7:44 AM

UK

I've been using the train to get to work in central London this week because I've hurt my wrist - usually (motor)cycle to work.

... so to cheer myself up I've been listening to...

Glenn Hughes - Addiction (this morning )
Glenn Hughes - MFTD
ELO - Zoom
Robert Plant - Mighty Re-Arranger

... and recently ........
Dave Lee Roth - Eat em and Smile
Dave Lee Roth - Skyscraper
Steely Dan - The Royal Scam
Midnight Oil - Earth and Sun and Moon
Jimmy Barnes - Double Happiness

alibongo's Sig:

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1984, 1986, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006, addiction, album, albums, bands, bass, book, Coast to Coast, cover, David, Deep Purple, freak flag flying, GHCP, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, journey, London, search, solo, solo album, soul mover, tommy bolin, tour, track, Trapeze