g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Trapeze

Trapeze Talk about shows, setlists, albums, where are they now.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May-26-2006, 2:44 PM

UK

Smile Mel Galley's answers

Well, here we are at last with the largest ever single posting on the site. Although now that im posting it i've realised that it will have to be broken into chunks as it wont all fit into one post. So i'm now re-editiing it! So no replies till i say THATS IT!

Anyway, if you recall, (John) Hackney became a member of GHPG late last year and also just happened to be a personal friend of Mel Galley. As a Cannock person and fellow Trapeze fan i cajoled him into getting Mel to agree to a q&a session with us Crazy People. Mel very kindly agreed and the rest is history!

There have been over 700 views of those questions so far so it has been a popular topic alright. Now if i could only get him on a Chat There's always a beer in the fridge Mel

What i have done is take Mel's answers and put them together with the original questions. I have chopped a few bits out for clarity and conciseness. You'll see each person's GHPG name and their questions as 1.2.3. followed by Mel's answers as 1)2)3). It's taken a while to get it all together - especially with MS Word mucking me about and trying to number everything - but its been worth it. You wouldn't believe how many times i have proof read it all!

Quote:
EQUINOX 91:

1. Rumour has it, that a final Trapeze studio album was recorded before Pete Goalby left for Uriah Heep in late 1981 but never released. Is this true? If so, will it ever see the light of day?

2. The Dead Armadillos - Live in Texas album is still a great listen but it is only half the show. Any chance the tapes containing the full set have survived and could see release?

3. There was a large amount of excellent material that Trapeze performed live but never recorded in between Medusa and You are the Music. There is a live recording (of course, not very good sound quality) in circulation from Norman, Oklahoma in 1972 where half the set consists of new material that can be heard nowhere else. Were these songs deemed inferior by the time the band entered the studio to record You are the Music...? I've been very curious because, as fantastic as You are the Music is, these live songs were also of very high quality.

1&2) Hello Equinox! Yes, there was a lot of material recorded before Pete Goalby left. We recorded it at The Old Smithy – God knows what happened to the tapes, I must ask Tony Perry, my manager. We actually did a few on Dead Armadillos, but they never made it to the final set, which goes on to your next question. Aaron Six, the guy who owns the album has the tapes and as he never, ever pays any royalties, my guess is as good as yours.

3) Myself and Glenn have both tried to get copies of these songs as we had both forgotten about them. Best wishes Mel.

Quote:
ZEPHEAD2112:

1. I wondered if there was any live Trapeze footage in the vaults that may be considered for future release on DVD?

1) Thanks for your question. There was never any professional footage of the 3 piece Trapeze taken, but my dear friend Carl Dunn shot lots of bits of different shows and line-ups – but I really don't know where it is now! Cheers, Mel.

Quote:
TARQUIN:

1. Three songs have emerged on a Glenn Hughes studio bootleg credited to 'Trapeze featuring Gary Moore', the songs in question being 'Welcome To The Real World', 'Don't Ever Give Your Heart Away' and 'Fighting', All three of these titles were played live by you in MGM - are you on the studio versions or is it just Moore on guitar? (I'm guessing these were around the time Gary Moore pinched Glenn when he was considering a Trapeze reunion in the early/mid 80's?).

2. Some Whitesnake reissues are planned with bonus archive material added - is there likely to be any unreleased WS studio stuff with your good self on in the vaults?

3. Would you consider a solo album? If so, please sing on it as well as playing guitar - we're missing your voice!

Hi, and thanks for your questions.

1) The three songs, 'Real World', Me and Glenn, 'Give Your Heart Away' and 'Fighting' me, were recorded by the original 3-piece in a little recording studio in Cannock, mine and Glenn's home town. Not having the bootleg, I can't tell – but I'll hazard a guess that it's the original 3-piece.

2) I think most of the songs I wrote & recorded with Whitesnake were used on either 'Slide it in' or on B-sides of singles.

3) Until this last year, I never thought there was any interest in my music, but it seems there are still people out there with enough interest, so I am considering doing an album. But who to record with is the big question now Cozi has gone, God bless him. . . Thanks once again for you interest, Mel.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old May-26-2006, 2:46 PM

UK

Quote:
AD:

1. Did you play in the USA in 1990? What was the band line-up?

2. Were you really doing a carpenter job for the Donington 1981 (?) festival

3. Did you ever visit a Deep Purple show with glenn in the band? did you meet the purple members back then?

1) The original 3-piece toured in 93/4 (Year may be wrong!) and by the end of the dates the band was really great. The last date was in Austin, Texas, my favourite place. the line-up was Dave, Glenn and me, plus a friend of Glenn on the keyboard and I'm f****d if I can remember his name!

2) Yes. The year before we headlined, Whitesnake were supporting AC/DC. I wasn't doing anything, so Maurice Jones, the promoter, said to come and make a few quid carpentering (I was a carpenter after leaving school, before I turned pro-musician). I was building the stage & other things and David Coverdale heard I was there and he asked if I was interested in joining the band. The rest, as they say, is history.

3) I never saw Glenn with Deep Purple. It might have broken my heart at the time if I had. The Purple people kept appearing at Trapeze shows the tour before Glenn left, and when we were tuning up he used to play 'Smoke On The Water'. I knew then something was wrong – he hated organs!

Quote:
CHUSTLER:

1. Have you ever considered re-recording the Hot Wire album with Glenn's full participation on bass and vocals (I thought you did an excellent job with the vocals but I've always wondered how it would have turned out with Glenn)?

2. Have you spoken to Dave Holland since his trouble with the law?

3. Ever consider a career-spanning cd compilation (Finders Keepers, Trapeze, MGM, Whitesnake, etc., etc.)?

Hi Chustler:

1) The Hot wire album was written with Glenn in mind. We wanted to show that we could do it without him!

2) Have not seen Dave since his bit of trouble. But my manager Tony has been to see him and he seems to be OK. But he is limited to how many people can visit.

3) The idea is good, but would be a bit of a s**t to sort out contractually.

Quote:
MARK3:

1. How do you make a living these days?

2. MGM were great, what are your thoughts from that time, what happened to the demos that were recorded?

3. Any chance of working with Bernie Marsden again? I thought you complemented each other so well in MGM.

1) Walking my beloved dog Fannie.

2) Absolutely nothing. I think Bernie might have them.

3) Bernie seems to be quite busy with his own projects. But thanks for the questions.

Old May-26-2006, 2:48 PM

UK

Quote:
HKELLS:

1. This is an email from your past. Do you remember going to see the movie The Exorcist shortly after it came out in Houston with Glenn, Andy, Linda Blair and myself. We sat rear the front of theatre and the guy in front of us had a near heart attack when he heard Linda laughing out loud and turned around and saw Linda sitting behind him while at the same time she was on the picture screen. Was that a crazy dream or did it really happen?

2. How your tennis game?

3. When are you coming back to Austin?

1) Howard, my dear old friend, good to hear from you – Yes, I remember it well, it's one of those stories no one would ever believe, but it did happen & was one of those moments that happen once in a lifetime!

2) Cannot play tennis any more because my arms are so s**t.

3) I would love to see Austin and you again soon, take care.

Quote:
Chris Poteat:

1. I always loved your guitar tone, especially on "You Are The Music...We're Just The Band". Did you play the Gibson SG/Hiwatt amps combination on both "Medusa" & "You Are The Music"? You are one of the most tasteful guitarists I have ever heard. Every band that I'm in, I make the guitar player listen to the solo on "What Is A Woman's Role" so they can hear one of the best guitar solos ever recorded.

2. After Deep Purple broke up you, Dave & Glenn briefly reformed Trapeze. Did the recordings that eventually became Glenn's first solo LP "Play Me Out" begin life as Trapeze recording sessions, or were you fully aware that they were going to be used for Glenn's debut solo record?

3. This isn't so much of a question, but I just wanted to say that I always loved "Hot Wire". I thought you did a great job handling lead vocals & that was a pretty funky little record!

1) Well thank you for your kind words, the answer to your first question is yes. But in the studio we also tried different amps. Without wishing to sound immodest, I also think that the solo on "Woman's Role" is one of my faves.

2) Glenn was in a bit of a state after the Purple people had him, and we wanted to tour and he wanted to do a solo album – so we did both.

3) And in answer to your final point about Hot Wire, thank you very much for the compliment. I thought it was pretty funky too!

Quote:
Jim Wilson:

1. Please describe the Pete Goalby era in terms of the tours. Where did you play and with which bands did you perform?

1) Gosh Jim, we did loads too many to remember. The only positive way to find out is by asking Tony Perry, our manager, he kept a journal of every Trapeze date.

Old May-26-2006, 2:50 PM

UK

Quote:
Dave Dubuc:

1. Mel, Do you remember playing with Trapeze at Peabody Auditorium in Daytona Beach, Florida in 1971 & ''72? I was there both times and those concerts were just beyond great! One of the best memories of my youth! Thanks for that!!

2. Are you still playing/writing/recording?

3. Where do you call home these days?

1) Hi Dave, I certainly do remember those gigs at Peabody Auditorium. It was a very enjoyable time in my life too.

2) I really have to try more. It's very hard with these f****d up arms of mine.

3) I live just outside of my home town of Cannock, in the UK Midlands. I spend a lot of time on Cannock Chase (a large forest area which dates back to Medieval times when it was royal hunting land). I love the forest.

Quote:
GALLEYFAN:

1. Are you guys going to release the songs you, Glenn and Dave recorded in 1994 for the Best of Trapeze and the reissues that never came out?

2. Have you considered using any of the unreleased songs like "Easy Touch","Real World" or any from that time for your new solo album?

3. How's your new solo record coming along? We all miss you and need to hear you again.

1) We recorded quite a few things – it would be great to gather them all together and put them on disc.

2) As above. After a few wives and houses, I don't have any copies of these songs. I thought "East Touch" would have been a great song for David Coverdale.

3) Scott, as I said earlier, I really need to try harder . . .

Quote:
AYESHA:

1. If you are recording a solo album, which musicians would you choose?

2. Of all the solo albums Glenn Hughes had made, which ones are your favourites?

1) Ooow! That's a hard one. Most of them are dead. This is a real hard question which I'll have to think about and reply later.

2) Sorry Ayesha, haven't heard them, so can't really comment.

Old May-26-2006, 2:52 PM

UK

Quote:
JAMES CARL:

1. Where did the "Trapeze" name come from?

1) It was just something that someone came up with. I think it was either Terry Rowley or Jonny Jones, the original singer and keyboard player.

Quote:
MISTREATED:

1. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE NEW WHITESNAKE'S STUFF?

2. WHICH IS YOUR FAVOURIST SINGER?

3. WHERE DID YOU BUY YOUR CLOTHES FOR THE SHOW IN DONINGTON WITH WHITESNAKE?

1) Have not heard much of it, Went to see David last year in Wolverhampton – had to pay – no one would believe I used to in the band, mmm! David and the band were very good though.

2) I am fortunate to have worked with two of the best in David and Glenn.

3) Army & Navy Surplus store.

Quote:
BIG ED:

1. How the hell are you my old friend???

2. Do you ever make it over to the states anymore? I had heard that you'd quit playing and didn't even own a guitar at one point (I found that hard to believe!!!) but if I'm reading this stuff correctly, you're playing and recording again - COOL!!!

3. Any chance you might give an old man a shout? (I've conveniently included my e-mail address and the HYDRA web address - the guys would be thrilled if you visited us and signed the guestbook.

Good to hear from you my old friend.

1) First of all, I'm doing fine.

2) Have not been back to the States since me, Glenn & Dave did a few dates back in the 90s. Yeah, it's true – for a while I didn't have a guitar, but I do now and hopefully I'll get my arm in gear soon.

3) I will try, take care, fond memories and say hi to the guys in Hydra.

Old May-26-2006, 3:00 PM

UK

Quote:
JOE E:

1. Do you have a favourite album from the Trapeze Days?

2. Who is your most influencial guitarist?

3. Any suggestions for an individual in the process of developing their own guitar style?

1) 'You Are The Music' still sounds good but each album has it's moments.

2) That's a hard one Joe. Always loved Jeff Beck, but have admired so many more – Cooder, Townsend, Harrison – Gosh so many good ones of my generation.

3) Listen to your heart & if you can't sing the solo, it's no good

Quote:
JIMMY RUSIDOFF:

1. How's the hand doing? Still gotta wear that claw thang?

2. As to the funk/jazz influence: was that you, or Glenn or both?

1) Yeah, still have to wear the claw, but my arms aren't too good these days.

2) Actually, it was all three of us.

Quote:
JOEY:

1. I have been waiting a long time for new Trapeze music. I'd really like to see you and Glenn come up with a killer release. What's the chances of this happening?

2. Will Trapeze ever reform and do a live concert DVD? That would be great!!

3. Hughes/Galley, how does that sound for a future project?

1) Not much chance. Glenn has too many commitments, but there is loads of stuff we have done in various studios that has never been put out.

2) Like I say – not really

3) Still sounds good

Quote:
NEAL DREW:

1. Do you still play live at all, and are you ever likely to visit the west country, would love to meet up again.

Hello Neal, I remember you very well!

1) No I haven't played live for ages & I visit the West Country as often as I can. My wife & I try to get to Cornwall at least once a year. Take Care – How's your Bro?

Old May-26-2006, 3:02 PM

UK

Quote:
PERE:

1. Are there any unreleased tracks / outtakes from Whitesnake's "Slide it in" album that could be released in the future as bonus tracks of remastered cd?

2. There is a release of the first Phenomena, that has two bonus tracks. Will there be new bonus tracks on the reisssue of the Phenomena's cds?

3. On the 1975 Trapeze album, Glenn sings on two tracks, did he sing in some others?

1) I don't think so, everything was used on B-sides of singles.

2) Don't Know, Tom sold the rights to this guy, so I don't really have anything to do with it. I have heard he put a couple of his own tracks on it. PS. I never heard it.

3) No, he was around at the time, so I dragged him into the studio!

Quote:
GRACE:

WOW.
It looks to me as if Mel is taking on a part-time job,
agreeing to answering all of our questions concerning Trapeze.
(And more importantly, our concerns for his recovery.)

Yep, the man is a big influence on guitarists; from then 'till now.
When 'ya got class, Mel, 'ya got class

Looks like "Ask Mel Galley a Question" should be a permanent
category on this web site. Glenn won't mind.......after all,
(and I quote) "TRAPEZE is my baby."

1) Thank You – You sweet talking (b****) lady!!

Quote:
HARLEY KIDD:

1. Since I am a guitar player too I was just wondering about the gear esp amps you used back during Trapeze and also what you use today?

1) I mainly used Laney & Marshall set up in the early days & at home I have a small Marshall Combo and a Les Paul Studio. The chaps from The Lizards got me. And God bless you.

Old May-26-2006, 3:03 PM

UK

Quote:
WAYBACK2THEBONE:

1. How's your hand. Are you still able to play?

2. Any chance of Box set of Trapeze stuff with unrecorded material?

3. We know about Holland (!), but what about other ex-Trapeze members these days and are you still in touch with them?

1) My arms are not too good. I need to try more (sounds like my school report!), but I do miss playing with good musicians.

2) Great idea. I've asked Tony Perry, Trapeze's old manager to look into it ages ago, and yes as I've said before, there are lots of things we recorded as a 3-piece that could be used. Glenn has used 3 or 4 of them on his albums (re-recorded).

3) Yes I still speak to Pete Wright now and then.

Quote:
ANDREW STEED:

1. Did you do any recordings with Derek, and if you did is there any chance of releasing them?

2. I know that there are at least three demos from the first Phenomena album that you sang on - Hell On Wings, Assassins of the Night and Phoenix Rising. I used to work with Ian Lowe who did the cover pictures and he played me these many years ago. They were as good as the released versions (in fact I think Assassins was better). Any chance of releasing these along with any others that may exist?

3. The last time I saw Trapeze was at Walsall Town Hall in what was probably the last tour. I can't remember any names but you certainly played some new unreleased songs. Again, any chance of releasing some?

1) Yes, we did record a few tunes at Derek's house. Saw him at an old friends funeral the other week. I should have asked if he still had them.

2) There is the whole album of demos somewhere. Tom can't find them. I would love to put them out. In some ways I thought they were better than the final product.

3) On the recording of Dead Armadillosin Texas, we did lots of new tunes, but they never made it to the final mix. Aaron Six has the tapes, but another one of those chaps who never pays any royalties – so I don't see much chance of them coming out.

Thanks.

Old May-26-2006, 3:05 PM

UK

Quote:
Philip de Vroe:

1. 2007 will mark the 35th anniversary of the legendary Trapeze "You Are The Music" album - is there a chance you will reform Trapeze to celebrate that and do a couple of shows, for example on one of the popular "classic rock" festivals such as Arrow Classic Rock in the Netherlands?

2. What's your best memory/anecdote about being part of Whitesnake in the early eightes?

3. I heard a rumour that you were involved with the band Badlands (featuring guitarist Jake E. Lee and singer Ray Gillen) in the early nineties - did you jam with them live, and/or work on any songs together?

1) Sadly, I don't see much chance of that happening

2) So many, but before the Saints & Sinners tour, Cozy (God Bless) and David went onto Dartmoor to get fit. After they had set up camp, the only thing David had in his back-pack was two bottles of Bollinger and some glasses!

3) Yes, once at the Astoria in London.

Quote:
Julie Silvester:

Dear Mel,
Other than the obvious question - any chance of taking Trapeze back out on the road?
I'd really just like to say a massive "thank you".

1) As I've said before, not much, but thank you very much.

Old May-26-2006, 3:08 PM

UK

From Mel Galley:

I would just like to thank everyone for their questions and love. Sorry it's taken so long but with John's loss of his beloved Mum and my father's illness other things take precedent. It has been so good to hear from old friends and some new ones, and Paul (Wolfysmith) for his help collating it all.

Deepest love to John Hackenbush for making this happen.

And don't forget – YOU ARE THE MUSIC.

BEST WISHES TO ALL, LOVE MELVILLE XXX

Old May-26-2006, 3:11 PM

UK

Phew. its taken me a bit to get this lot on here tonight.

THATS IT!

Now you can post your replies

Old May-26-2006, 3:14 PM

UK

Icon20

I've printed it off Wolfy - I could 'feel' the pressure for you!

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old May-26-2006, 5:46 PM

Netherlands

Thank you Wolfy. Its a great read although its sad to conclude a Trapeze (Glenn's finest music imo) reunion is far from reality.

Thank you for taking the time to post this. Its really appreciated.

Now a good nightsleep cuz it's uncle Ted, DIO and Alice Cooper for me tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
593098.jpg  
Old May-26-2006, 6:30 PM

USA

Wolfy, I have to say it's quite the thrill having my questions personally answered by Mel!!! Thanks for going the extra mile with this endeavour!! Now if you can just get him to participate in a chat.......heaven!!!! cheers!!
Old May-26-2006, 7:00 PM

USA

Icon32

Many thanks to Mel, Paul, and John for taking the time to get this all together.

It was a very interesting read. Hopefully this will be looked back upon as the start of getting some of those unreleased Trapeze tunes out of storage.

Thanks again guys.

Chip

Chip's Sig:Chip
Old May-27-2006, 2:38 AM

UK

Mel's Answers

Great stuff - thanks to Mel, Wolfy ("Power to the people!") and Hackney.

Must admit it made me feel slightly guilty that Mel hadn't heard some of the bootleg stuff we asked him about - I'm happy to send him some copies if he lets me know where to send 'em!

T.
Old May-27-2006, 6:22 AM

UK

Smile

I apologise for not posting on this website for a very long time, but I enjoyed reading Mel Galley's answers. I wish him the best of luck and also would like to thank him for answering our questions.

All the best

Ayesha
Old May-27-2006, 9:57 AM

USA

Icon27

Wolfy, thanks a million for all the hard work and time you put into this. I'm sure it was a labor of love, but well worth it for us die-hard Trapeze fans. I've always loved Mel's playing and singing, and it is such a great travesty that he can't play as much as he or his fans would like.

Best of Luck Mel, great to hear from you....our prayers are with you....and our hopes for some new material

Jaz
Old May-27-2006, 10:11 AM

USA

....thank you Mel..

....thanks Mel for all the answers!! it really really p**sses me off you had to pay for the Whitesnake concert....but hey the concert seemed to be good.

Around that time I was hoping Glenn would jump onstage with them as he was visiting his parents during that period in think....
Old May-29-2006, 9:21 AM

UK

Thanks

Thanks to Mel for answering the questions and to Mr Smith for organising it all. In one answer Mel said he didn't realise there was so much interest in his music. I'm one of many who would love to hear more from him. Hope it becomes possible one way or another.
Old May-29-2006, 4:18 PM

USA

Thanks so much to Mel & all involved for taking the great amount of time & energy required to put this together for all of us. Your efforts have not gone unnoticed.

Forgive me the stupid question, but Mel references trouble with his "arms" several times. I'm fully aware of the Whitesnake/Sykes injury & of course the "claw" - I saw Trapeze in 94. But what's up with his other arm - was there an injury I wasn't aware of?

Please advise...

Thanks again to everybody involved!!!
Old May-30-2006, 5:20 AM

USA

A big funky thank you to Mel, Wolfy and Hackney (and everyone else involved). It was a blast to read Mel's replies to my questions and I appreciate his time and candor.

I hope Mel's arms recover someday. That is such a shame. If Mel can't play because of his injuries, I hope all those lost tapes turn up. They can be cleaned up, released and put a few extra bob in Mel's pocket. He deserves it.

Thanks again!

Old May-30-2006, 1:46 PM

USA

Icon49

Our thanks to all, from the original idea.....to this list of answers.

This was really great to have Mel answer our questions.
(Betcha' Mel thought that our questions would be simple.)
Nope.

We want Trapeze reunions, starring Mr. Galley.
We want specific concert dates, which might have been recorded.
We want Mel to practice, practice, practice.
We want Mel to search his basement (cellar) and attic for "lost tapes."
We want Mel to call up every person that he's ever known,
and ask them if they have anything Trapeze in storage.
We want a complete boxed set of Trapeze.
I want Mel to write his autobiography.

Anybody wonder why we're called Crazy People?
Take care of yourself, Mel..........NOW GET BUSY!

(Looks like we're Mel Galley Crazy People, too!!)

Grace
Old May-31-2006, 12:56 AM

UK

The other arm!

Originally Posted by LoEndMaestro
Thanks so much to Mel & all involved for taking the great amount of time & energy required to put this together for all of us. Your efforts have not gone unnoticed.

Forgive me the stupid question, but Mel references trouble with his "arms" several times. I'm fully aware of the Whitesnake/Sykes injury & of course the "claw" - I saw Trapeze in 94. But what's up with his other arm - was there an injury I wasn't aware of?

Please advise...

Thanks again to everybody involved!!!

I'll check it out, but I believe Mel had some kind of wasting disease in his right arm as a child, as he grew the arm got stronger. But as he's got older the weakness has returned.

Regards, Hackney
Old Jun-01-2006, 12:11 PM

Spain

Thanks Mel for the answers

It's a pity that all there is still all that unreleased stuff.

I have the Trapeze Live cd "Live at the Boat Club 1975" and I love the way you sang.

Thanks Mel for all the songs.

Cheers.

Pere
Old Jun-04-2006, 6:49 AM

UK

The other arm 2

Originally Posted by hackney
I'll check it out, but I believe Mel had some kind of wasting disease in his right arm as a child, as he grew the arm got stronger. But as he's got older the weakness has returned.

Regards, Hackney

Saw Mel on Saturday and clarified the problem with his right arm – he had some kind of infection aged around 15/16 years of age and spent some time in an isolation hospital. It appears the infection attacks the nervous system and it destroyed some of the musclr tissue in Mel's upper arm. When all those years later the accident with Sykes caused a similar infection to attack the wound surrounding the break in his left arm and the nerves therein.

Regards, Hackney
Old Jun-04-2006, 6:57 AM

UK

Mel's answers

I gave Mel a printout of your comments following the posting of his answers, and he asked me to convey his sincere gratitude for the interest and appreciation of all you GHPGers who followed this thread. He also wanted me to tell you that he's overwhelmed with the whole thing!

Best wishes, John
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to hackney For This Useful Post:

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Trapeze

Share Thread

Tags
1971, 1972, 1975, 1981, 1990, 1994, 2007, album, albums, Astoria, autobiography, bands, bass, book, Cannock, classic rock, cover, David, debut, Deep Purple, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, history, London, Mel Galley, search, smoke on the water, solo, solo album, tour, Trapeze, uriah heep