g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures

Reports & Pictures Post your reviews, pictures, video & set lists here.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct-19-2002, 7:41 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Icon33 Shape 68 Review

First off here's the set list:

ALL ABOUT THE GIRL
STANDBY
YOU GOTTA BELIEVE IN LOVE
GRACE
WHEN PENNY COMES AROUND
COAST TO COAST
YOU KEEP ON MOVING
FUNK ON THE WATER
BLUES GROOVE

After translating my hurriedly written notes from last Wednesday, I've managed to put together a very brief review of the 5 new original songs plus the new and improved Purple classic as well as the show finale! I will just say it was also great to hear Coast To Coast and You Keep On Moving, you never tire of hearing those two and the US crowd were all over them

So here we go...

ALL ABOUT THE GIRL - don't know if it's because it was the first song, but afterwards I noted this one down as my favourite of the new material. There's everything you'd want - rock, pop and funk, plus it's a must dance tune with classic vocal chops from Glenn. This is what I was hoping for out of the new music - you get a great sing-along chorus with the funk and Glenn's timeless vocal, but with a twist of rap and thumping drums both courtesy of Robin Di Maggio! You won't forget this one in a hurry - so welcome SHAPE 68!!

STANDBY - This is the most "different" of the new songs, as in a definite swing in direction - a catchy chorus with interesting keyboard and guitar, but still number 5 on my list of the new material. Again, a good catchy chorus, and a contender for inclusion on any album!

YOU GOTTA BELIEVE IN LOVE - a wonderful mid-paced ballad with vocals only Glenn could carry off - this is chart material if ever I heard it. Stirring chorus, emotional vocals. Great backing by the band, both vocally as well as musically. Jay Gore takes the credit for the acoustic guitar work on this outing. This is my number 2 out of the five new ones. Perfection!

GRACE - a sweeping ballad, starts slow but soon builds into a wonderful chorus that only Glenn can fill. It's rounded out with big guitars and emotion filled keyboard work by Steve Porcaro. The short but effective guitar solo from Jeff Kollman also adds to the emotional power.

WHEN PENNY COMES AROUND - a great pop/rock song with a catchy groove that sticks in your head...Great guitar work and vocals supported with solid drumming - again, this really screams - we're SHAPE 68! The chorus makes the song, this is definitely one for the radio.

FUNK ON THE WATER - yes, the very same!! But, wow, I didn't think I'd ever hear a version quite as good as this one. If you like the funk....you're gonna love it! A stirring drum solo from Robin Di Maggio kicks things off, with the classic fantastic heavy riff eminating from Jeff Kollman on one side of the stage, and interspersed on the other side with funky groove Prince-like guitar parts from Jay Gore, transforms the tired old classic into a modern day marvel! Then Glenn kicks-in with the vocal, sung in Glenn's classic funk rock style - man, this is what any Glenn Hughes fan lives for [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] The chorus is pretty much left alone, as is the infamous guitar solo, but that's about it - the funk takes over from that point forward. The crowd went crazy for it - I hope they play this everytime - bloody marvelous!

BLUES GROOVE - it was great to hear Glenn perform the blues, it's been a while since I've seen him do this. Classic blues if ever you've heard it - great guitar parts from Jeff Kollman, vocals and bass were perfect and the whole band were really into this number, which overflowed to the audience. A good number to end on with a rousing finale that left us wanting more.

9 songs is simply not enough!!
Old Oct-22-2002, 8:00 AM

Japan

my short review

Because David obtained the set list of the show, I will write my short review of each song. I have to make an excuse that my ranking would change anytime. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ALL ABOUT THE GIRL
This is also my favorite. A great start of the show with this strong funk rock. A unique and interesting feature of this song is an addition of rap vocal by Robin.

STANDBY
A pop and commercial rock song, which might be the direction of Shape 68. It starts slow, and then becomes more up-tempo, and then at the end it again slows down. This is my number 2.

YOU GOTTA BELIEVE IN LOVE
Another slow tempo pops with a taste of folk music added by an acoustic guitar. This is not a kind of music Glenn played before. But, for some reason, I felt this song was not quite complete yet. So, this is my number 5.

GRACE
Another Glenn's power ballad which almost everybody would love. But, this sounds a little more commercial than his other ballads. I wish Glenn voice had been in a better condition. This is my number 4.

WHEN PENNY COMES AROUND
Another good pop rock, which is in the same genre of "Standby". This is my number 3.

COAST TO COAST
Coast To Coast fitted really well in the new songs. It is amazing this song still sounds new!

YOU KEEP ON MOVING
Both Coast To Coast and You Keep On Moving were close to the original short version.

FUNK ON THE WATER
This is simply great! I wish, when Glenn cover old Purple songs in his solo albums, new arrangements like this one were introduced. If Glenn added his legendary "Georgia On My Mind" at the end, I am sure that record company executives would have been knocked out even harder!

BLUES GROOVE (encore)

Overall, the band new songs were fink rock/pop rock/ballad, which were great and sounded more commercial than usual GH stuff. But, the show also covered different and original sides of Glenn, by playing hard rock and blues. So, I thought it was a good set list of "selling" Glenn Hughes music. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I strongly believe that this is the music what Glenn has been talking about and would like to play.
Old Oct-23-2002, 8:39 AM

Finland

Shape 68

Hello,
I can't help it, but when I'm reading your "Shape 68" reviews I start to hear songs by "The Mustard Seeds" in my head - am I close to what "Shape 68" is about or totally lost?

Regards from very warm Brasilia,

T
Old Oct-23-2002, 2:32 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Shape 68

They're certainly not as "alternative" as The Mustard Seeds....StandBy and When Penny Comes Around are the only ones you might categorize like that...but even that's a stretch! They have more of a pop-edge to them.

It's difficult to make comparisons, as they're so uniquely Glenn

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures

Share Thread

Tags
album, albums, backing, bass, Coast to Coast, cover, David, drums, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, Jeff Kollman, solo