g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Off Topic Post news & views on other music or unrelated topics such as sport etc, that you think fellow fans of Glenn might like.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb-12-2006, 8:47 AM

Spain

Icon24 WHITESNAKE "LIVE IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT" DVD AND CD

Fantastic new DvD and CD recorded in the U.K. Tour 2004.DC grows in his legend
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
Whitesnake_Live_In_The_Still_Of_The_Night-front.jpg  
Old Feb-12-2006, 9:30 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,491 Posts
It certainly captured the essence of a live performance and he obviously has great respect for his fans.

But I must say, there were just to many overdubs for my liking and at times it was almost embarassing to watch as he strained to deliver on some of his former glories - Burn & Stormbringer are two such examples, but even some of the Whitesnake material suffered the same fate.

Having said that, it is a good live performance with great audience participation and the other musicians were in fine form. Tommy Aldridge must get some kudos - don't think he stopped once throughout the whole show!

This is the type of DVD Glenn deserves the opportunity to shoot - HD, 5.1 DTS surround, multiple camera angles - the works - maybe one day - meantime I can only give this one 6 out of 10.
Old Feb-12-2006, 10:05 AM

Netherlands

aaah thats too bad. I already suspected this DVD would be full of overdubs. I just can't understand why a record company would release such a product when it's so obvious ovberdubs are used. Unbelievable ....

The same is with a DVD I got from a band called Ring of FIre feat. Mark Boals (former vocalist of Yngwie Malmsteen) and Tony MacAlpine.

During a ballad Mark playes acoustic guitar. In the beginning of the song you'll get a shot from behind the stage. During this shot you'll see Mark from behind and and you'll see him fixing his mike for 2 seconds but the acoutic guitar music goes on!! Why give a shot like that because it destoyes the whole crebility of the show. If something like this happens give us a shot at the keyboardplayer or the crowd for heavens sake. I just don't understand the people responsible for this.

Still the Ring of Fire DVD rocks!! Go buy it.
Old Feb-12-2006, 10:29 AM

UK

quote from Classic Rock:

"Hamilton (the director) has done an amazing job. i was there at the gig and, good as it was, watching the dvd is a completely different experience. it looks like the greatest gig on the planet."

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Feb-12-2006, 12:21 PM

Sweden

As much as Aldridge is a powerhouse of a drummer, he lacks in feel. He should take a lesson or two from Ian Paice. I have only seen the trailer but I also suspected overdubs. What makes you come to this conclusion David?

Daniel
Old Feb-12-2006, 12:56 PM

UK

Well as much as I love DC, as soon as I read the 'O' word, I decided not to buy it. What a shame!
Old Feb-12-2006, 1:17 PM

Finland

Icon37 Whitesnake's "Live" DVD...

Hi,
I have a "making of Whitesnake's Live DVD" -DVD...and DC surely wasn't singing that well that night at Hammersmith Ode...I mean Apollo...

By the way - after Still Of The Night - if you press your remote control's downward button a couple of times - you'll find DC's easter egg...(Shirean, I got the package - 10000000 thanks) and if you compare DC's vocals during Still Of The NIght and Soldier Of Fortune you'll notice the difference...

It is nice looking DVD...but it ain't live DVD! Today while driving to play ice hockey I was listening to Whitesnake's "live" CD and John Sykes' Bad Boy Live - and the winner.......John Sykes...

...I have some sort of problem with Doug Aldrich's playing...sometimes he tries to sound like Vivian Campbell or Craig Goldy...sometimes like John Sykes...he isn't that bad, but lacks originality...that little extra something...that for example JJ has!

T
Old Feb-12-2006, 1:35 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,491 Posts
Originally Posted by danielb
What makes you come to this conclusion David?

Daniel

Primarily because it sounded like a studio recording in parts....some of a song was obviously live, but other parts sounded like a studio echo was in place - difficult to describe unless I'm pointing it out to you in front of the screen - but think you'll notice when you view it.

Like I said, it's a good overall performance, and kudos to DC also for creating a fantastic intimate atmosphere with the crowd - there aren't too many musicians you can say that about these days.

By the way, I read somewhere there are sync issues with the PAL edition of the disc - in the Documentary section only - I can't vouch for that as I haven't seen it. The NTSC edition doesn't suffer from the issue from all accounts.
Old Feb-12-2006, 1:44 PM

Belgium

I prefer a great dvd with full of overdubs and a perfect image quality, it's a pleasure to watch it, the sound is incredible.

I know it will be difficult for some of you to hear this but...
Glenn's dvd is one of the badest dvd of my collection....
Perhaps David had a bigger budget to release his dvd but....
Old Feb-12-2006, 1:48 PM

USA

Wink Don't worry..we'll fix it in post production!

So..there was more than a bit of sonic spackle applied??

I certainly won't hold that against DC...if he wanted to put out the best product possible. I am assuming that he put a lot of his personal capital into this with the absence of a major label deal. When DC and company toured the States in 2003 I rememebr Glenn saying that you had to give David credit in that he put his wallet where his mouth was. He wasn't going to play in small halls even if he had to finance things himself.

In a way, I do appreciate the recent DP DVD's all the more for the fact that there is no "patchwork" done at all. You see things exactly as they went down on those respective nights. You get the dated camera work on the Scandanavian Nights DVD where Gillan gets much of the camera time; that's the way it was shot back then.

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Feb-12-2006, 2:16 PM

Sweden

Hi Capt, you may be right re: 2003 touring, but the reason there has been no new studio material from DC (be it solo or with WS) for many, many years is because he seemingly doesn't want to accept anything other than a major deal. As that's not going to happen the fans get to suffer in that there's no new music to talk about. Couldn't he just go with an indie label who believes in him? WS can't go on touring the same greatest hits package over and over again imho.

Daniel
Old Feb-12-2006, 2:18 PM

Spain

Icon24

What happen here? many overdubs,etc,etc... it is a great performance with the audience.I think you are in the eternal comparations between Glenn and David.David has a great feeling but he can not sings as Glenn does.But,who can?

I wish an audience like this for Glenn and a dvd which makes justice his quality.Here in Spain it could happened because the voice has die hard fans
Old Feb-12-2006, 3:33 PM

Sweden

I'm sad to say but David's voice doesn't do it for me anymore... Compare his REAL live vocals to his early 80s output. It's not pretty.
Old Feb-12-2006, 10:55 PM

Finland

Icon37 No comparision...

Hi Mistreated,
I don't think people's opinions on Whitesnake's DVD are any kind of comparison between David and Glenn...people have just been critical about one of their favourite singer's performance. I think it is good thing. Remember that Glenn's DVD got also criticism...singing on SLITCOA is superb though!

Whitesnake used to be one of my favourite bands - I love everything MK IV related......it was OK in 1997, but since then it has been all about nostalgia...just like Deep Purple...

...and Whitesnake's version of Burn/Stormbringer is just horrible...just like a bar band doing a cover...

...I wonder if DC will release the Whitesnake double live album - with couple of new studio tracks - he promised a couple of years ago....he has had enough time to fix those vocal parts...

T
T
Old Feb-13-2006, 12:57 AM

Finland

Don't know what it is why people seems to give more effort finding faults and mistakes about David singing instead of enjoying it....I found new WS dvd most entertaining as ever..and there's enough wrong notes and graspy sounds in Coverdales Voice to make it sound like live....
I find it very hard to beliave that there's going to be another dvd from whoever to match this one...
Btw... i catched two live shows from that tour...and the bands
playing was as good as in dvd...I don't think aldrich and beach
needs to do overduppin...
Whoever don't have this one yet..buy it!! Don't listen those needles critics...

Pease!!

M
Old Feb-13-2006, 1:26 AM

Spain

Icon24

Originally Posted by jerklund
Hi Mistreated,
I don't think people's opinions on Whitesnake's DVD are any kind of comparison between David and Glenn...people have just been critical about one of their favourite singer's performance. I think it is good thing. Remember that Glenn's DVD got also criticism...singing on SLITCOA is superb though!

Whitesnake used to be one of my favourite bands - I love everything MK IV related......it was OK in 1997, but since then it has been all about nostalgia...just like Deep Purple...

...and Whitesnake's version of Burn/Stormbringer is just horrible...just like a bar band doing a cover...

...I wonder if DC will release the Whitesnake double live album - with couple of new studio tracks - he promised a couple of years ago....he has had enough time to fix those vocal parts...

T
T

I like the dvd and I give my opinion.I love SLITCOA but I think it could be better and I am sure that all the people in this site feel the same.We need a high quality dvd in the future like LIVE IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT OR LIVE AT THE GODS 2002(J.S.SOTO).Glenn's fans wait this big moment.
Old Feb-13-2006, 2:03 AM

Sweden

Tero: It's ok not to like the current DP line-up, but to say they are a nostalgia act is plain wrong. Then why would half of their current show be filled with songs from the new album? Thankfully Glenn seems to be over the days of only playing nostalgia shows with old Mk 3 stuff.

Hammerheadshark: Accept that opinions differ when it comes to the new WS line-up. Technically they are perfect, but sometimes that is not good enough. Feel was a big thing with WS too, and it is sometimes lacking these days I'm afraid. As for DC's vocals, it's the truth. He's not the singer he used to be. It's not that he doesn't sound acceptable today, it's just that he's a shadow of his former self which makes it difficult for me to enjoy his live singing with WS.
Old Feb-13-2006, 2:18 AM

Finland

DanielB I agree with you 100%...i only hope that these critics
won't keep anybody from buing this dvd because if you only
look at the bad sides you might get the picture of very poor
expression and that's not the truth at all...
The's still very good singing, playin, direction, etc...
I agree that DC voice is not the same anymore but other hand i
found some charisma and personality in his singin..
like you said you either find the 'feel' or you dont...
i found the feel from the both old and new...

Like Glenn said : you are the music we are just a band..

peace and love brothers

M
Old Feb-13-2006, 4:22 AM

Finland

Icon37 Nostalgia...

Hi,
my point was that I don't enjoy today's Whitesnake's and Deep Purple's performances anymore...that's why they are nostalgia acts to me..and still they both have done albums that I will love till death...

I believe that DC could deliver a good studio album, but those days are over for Deep Purple...

T
Old Feb-14-2006, 2:15 PM

USA

But back to the DVD...

I have to say that, in all honesty, I really don't have any problems with it myself. It's beautifully shot and pretty well recorded, and if it's touched up in places here and there, so what? Coverdale's voice isn't what it used to be - that's really no secret - but that's not tantamount to saying that he is washed up either. The DVD really shows DC for what he is; an accomplished frontman in front of a tight band who delivers a solid show with all he's got to give, and he definitely has given his fans what they want with this professional looking, nicely polished concert DVD.

I'm sure that Glenn would be proud of just such a product himself.

-Marc
Old Feb-16-2006, 10:27 AM

USA

Overdubbing happens all the time on live stuff, both CD and DVD.
I think the idea, from a business standpoint, is to put out the best possible final product that the most consumers would fork out the money for. Sure there are those that want the raw live stuff, but that is usually the hardcore fans and they tend to get bootlegs to get that true live sound.

I don't think any "live" release is live in the true sense of the word. Overdubs happen to make it sound better. So what if Coverdale has done it? Kiss has, Frampton has, Cream has, Gary Moore has...it's all about the end product and what will bring in the money. In Frampton and Kiss' case both Frampton Comes Alive and Kiss Alive weren't even done in concert, but both are top selling live albums.
Even John Sykes did some overdubs on "Bad Boys Live."

Why would an artist and record company put out something that has shoddy vocals, or a bad note here and there? Of course they will make it better in the studio so it will sell.

Most consumers can't detect the overdubs, so in the grand scheme of things it's really no big deal.

The Whitesnake video is great! The vocals, wheter they be overdubs or "live" are good. And the band is good. The DVD is well worth getting.

Cheers,
sean
Old Feb-19-2006, 5:11 AM

UK

I saw the snake on this UK tour in glasgow and they were poor. Cov's voice is not the deep bluesy voice we all loved in Purple n early Snake, but a poor shriek - mine's better n I cannae sing in tune!

His versions of Burn/ Stormbringer were even worse - how he can get away with this is beyond me - must need the cash eh!!!
Old Feb-19-2006, 8:34 AM

USA

Icon32

Chris, looks like we're on the same page about this DVD.
The first track of Burn/Stormbringer is really awful.
That's about as far as I got watching the DVD. Visually and sonically it's a very good release though.

Chip
Old Feb-20-2006, 11:57 PM

UK

Hi Chris/Chip

"
Quote:
The first track of Burn/Stormbringer is really awful."

Haven't had the chance to see the DVD yet but my recollection of this track was cringing when Marco Mendoza tried to the 'Glenn bits'-didn't quite hit the spot!!

Cheers
Ben
Old Feb-21-2006, 5:02 PM

USA

Well, I finally received my whitesnake cd/dvd today and I just finished watching it.Coverdale will always be one of my favorite bluesy rock singers however, he does not sound the same to me.Although, I really enjoyed the quality of the dvd and the sound was off the charts.I'm sure I pissed off some of my neighbors.Coverdale still captured the stage presence and he was really involved with the audience,I like that!He still is one of the most sexiest men to me!He looks like he's in great shape as well.I guess I was anticipating him hitting those long high notes like he use to.But, you can't live in the past and I guess I should be thankful that he put this very fine cd/dvd out that looks just like a video/rockumentary, it's great!I felt like I was in the audience with everyone else! It's really enthralling!Coverdale owned,commanded and demanded that stage!!!I just wished he would have sung,you keep on moving,mistreated,sail away and soldier of fortune.Other than that he pretty much rocked it! Just my opinion.
Old Mar-01-2006, 12:51 PM

UK

Maybe it's just because I'm a big Coverdale fan, but I love this DVD. The overdubs are something I'd rather not discuss, because I don't know enough to comment. I paid to see them live and they were **** hot. I've seen them three times since they returned in 2002 and each time they've been better. The DVD doesn't sound a great deal difefrent to when I last saw them, which was two days before the DVD was shot. And as mentioned, if there are little touch ups here and there, good for David for making sure his product is as good as it can be.

Sure David's voice isn't what it once was, but compare that to 1997 when it looked like Whitesnake were done for good - there's not many guys in their 50's who can sing like David. We've been spoiled with Glenn because his voice is just beyond compare.

Bigger news for me is that according to melodicrock.com the DVD has hit top 5 all over Europe and top 20 in the US, with virtually no promotion whatsoever. That can only be a good thing!

JG

James Gaden's Sig:"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"

www.solitaryvision.co.uk www.jamesgaden.co.uk www.myspace.com/jamesgaden
Old Mar-04-2006, 2:12 PM

UK

Snake Live

David Coverdale should concentrate on writing new material rather than performing what made him and Whitesnake popular in the late '80s, I mean he is a great singer and one of my favourites. But Glenn Hughes releases new albums each year or two and updates his music. Glenn had always played what he does best and love, funk and soul fused with hard rock. For me Glenn is number one !.

Ayesha
Old Mar-16-2006, 12:10 AM

UK

I love Whitesnake, and DC is the most fantastic frontman.

This DVD is great, although not the best Whitesnake show, when DC was in his prime. We should be greatful though that we have a brilliant audiovisual reminder of a great band.

Roll on the next Big Daddy DVD

Paul
Old Mar-16-2006, 7:30 AM

USA

Icon49 My 2 cents........

OK, here's my opinion:

IT'S NO COMPLIMENT TO GLENN, whenever someone says:
Glenn Hughes is great.........
Especially since David Coverdale can't hit the 'ole notes anymore.

What is this?
A process of eliminaton contest?

DC is smart enough to know what he used to sound like.
He is also knowledgeable enough to make the necessary
"key changes adjustments" in singing a song today.
(I'm not a professional musician, but you know what I mean.)
Until somebody's larynx falls out, or they die, they CAN sing.

I'm positive that if our two favorite purple boys got into a
recording studio, they could recapture a hell of a lot
(excuse me)
of the DP MK3 and 4 harmonies that we all loved.
(That's why so many of us keep hoping for this to happen.)

As far as overdubs are concerned........
I love it when GH sings lead vocals on a song.

But I love it even more when it's "The Hughes Quintuplets."
Ben Hughes singing duet.
Len Hughes and Ken Hughes singing back-up.
And Jen Hughes hitting the high notes.

Yep, Glenn Hughes' voice, times five. Gotta' love it!

Grace

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic

Share Thread

Tags
1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, album, albums, bands, classic rock, cover, David, Deep Purple, GHCP, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, press, related, Shirean, solo, tour, track, Video, win