g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic > Audio

Audio Soundbytes go here!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb-25-2006, 3:13 AM
schreinermusic

Icon27 1995 BURNING RAINBOW

Hello everyone,

I found something which is maybe of interest for one or another. From the RAINBOW bootleg STRANGER DAYS THE SIXTH DAY I uploaded the encore the band played, which was a furious version BURN!

The bootleg was recorded on 19/11/95 in Osaka and it has a superb sound quality. The band played pretty hot and the people just went crazy as you can hear from the reaction when Ritchie starts the riff and throughout the entire song. On this gig they also played rare material which this Rainbow incarnation later removed from their setlist, for example "Stone Cold".

Doogie White did a great job, even he cannot sing like GH Interesting, the bridge was sung by Greg Smith, the bass player, which is also known for his work on several JLT albums as well as the keyboarder Paul Morris.

Anyway, hope you like it.

cheers, Achim
Old Feb-25-2006, 6:58 AM

USA

..tx

tx Achim
I can't believe this is already more than 10 yrs ago.....time flies!
Old Feb-25-2006, 9:43 AM

USA

Icon33

I saw that tour when it came to Las Vegas. Great show!

I think my favorite version of BURN is on the Made In Europe album. Listen to the energy on it - Glenn's bass playing is on fire! Cue the song up and have a listen. From 3:30 to the end of the song, it's a blast of adrenalin. Superb.

Todd
Old Feb-25-2006, 12:03 PM

Australia

Thumbs down

Unfortunately, I don't share your enthusiasm for this particular version of Burn.
I felt that this wasn't rehearsed because Ritchie wasn't certain of the arrangement at particular times.
The band sounded a bit sloppy and there was just no energy at all there, in this version.

As a huge fan of Rainbow, I felt that this final incarnation was in fact, the weakest line-up out of them all.
The last studio album "SIUA" wasn't up to Rainbow standards and I felt that it "revisited" too much old ground.

When Ritchie reformed Rainbow for the last time, he should have called Joe back.
JLT has great ideas and sings much better melody lines than Doogie White.
Old Feb-26-2006, 1:20 AM

UK

Icon34

Gotta disagree with you there Mike. I thought that SIUA was a very good album and the live shows were great.
Actually I think there was more energy with this line up than some of the previous ones.
Doogie and Greg used to work on their harmonies a la GH/DC and Ritchie mistakenly called Greg, Glenn on a few occasions lol.
They were very good tours and I have a lot of good memories from them.

Rob

www.myspace.com/englishrob
Old Feb-26-2006, 2:02 AM
schreinermusic

I totally agree with you, Rob. Of course, on SIUA were some aspects from ole RAINBOW days but also mixed with some very new aspects and new ideas like "Hunting Humans" or "Black Masquerade" which were fabulous tracks. I also saw RAINBOW in the 80´s and later in the 90´s again. I think the "new" RAINBOW weren´t that bad at all. They had great fun playing older tunes as well as newer material. The audience were mostly very satisfied with the sets. Doogie White and Greg Smith indeed sang very good together in the harmonies which made some older songs like "Temple of the Kings" or "Perfect Strangers" sound more fresh like the DP versions, in my opinion. I would prefer this version more than the current DP version by far!
As an example I took a version of "Perfcet Strangers" from the concert in Düsseldorf, Germany, October 1995 which I also have completely on VHS.

cheers, Achim
Old Feb-26-2006, 2:20 AM

Australia

There's certainly no accounting for taste!

Don't get me wrong, I really wanted to like SIUA just because it was Ritchie Blackmore.
He's been my favorite guitar player for 24 years now, but I just couldn't absorb it like I have all his other work.

The songs sounded (to me) like they void of any life, like he really didn't care what he was releasing.
Maybe one day I'll see the light, but for now, it just stays on the CD shelf with all the other Rainbow CDs

What was the deal with that album?
Was Ritchie under contract with the record company to do one more album, or was there more to it than that?

I hadn't read anything about Ritchie reforming Rainbow at all, just that he'd split from Purple, so when I saw a brand new studio album by Rainbow in the record shop, I just about peed my pants mate.
Old Feb-26-2006, 2:36 AM

UK

Icon34

Originally Posted by Aussie_Mike
There's certainly no accounting for taste!

What was the deal with that album?
Was Ritchie under contract with the record company to do one more album, or was there more to it than that?

As far as I know, it was a new deal and Ritchie was not committed to fulfill any other agreement.
It's a real shame that this line-up did not record another CD because I feel that they would have gone on from strength to strength.

Rob

www.myspace.com/englishrob
Old Feb-26-2006, 5:37 AM

USA

Achim!!!
You are the Best!!! You need to know that I have a Playlist on the I Pod "Schreinermusic"
Love that you post so much music!!!
Now at "40" I find it hard to shop like the old days to get bootlegs!
Never time/$$$ You keep the flame burning for rare music!
Now I go to the gym and Close my eyes and work out to a lot of the music you Post!!
Cheers Cheers!!
Thanks
Scott

PS wish I repay???

scottscars's Sig:st
Old Feb-26-2006, 6:48 AM

Japan

Thinking about it was just 10 years ago, and Ritchie was playing Burn, it is already great.

Next, the sound quality is very good and very live with excited Japanese audiences as Achim says.

Third, thinking about what Ritchie was thinking about 2 missing original super vocalists from this song "especially Glenn", makes me feel very pround of being a big fan of Glenn.
Old Feb-26-2006, 11:44 AM

UK

Made in Europe version is mt fave by a mile - you can almost feel the tension there - Blackers must have been in a helluva mood and he is frocious on Burn.

crank it up n listen to G getting funky......in fact go to You Fool No One from the same album, after Jon Lord has had his bit........paicy comes in on fire, Blackers rips the riff to shreds, Glenn gets damn funky......even the first copule of minutes after the verse and they jam is damn fine...........now where's my tennis racket.....
Old Feb-26-2006, 12:47 PM
schreinermusic

Thanks a lot, Scott, I feel honoured mate.
I absolutely know how it is to be eager to get some "jewels" which are hard to get or rarities and so on...
I felt the same way when a mate here on the forum posted the "Burnbringer" medley of Whitesnake last year. I felt like "YAY, I got it!!"
Glad you like it!

have a great time at the gym, bud,
Achim
Old Feb-27-2006, 12:54 AM

Switzerland

Hey
Great posts, Achim, as always.
I like Doogie White much more than Joe, he doesn´t have this kind of attitude which Joe use to have....
Even as a singer he doesn´t have to hide behind Joe Lynn Turner.
Enjoyed "Perfect Strangers" a lot!
Thanks a lot.
Lisa

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic > Audio

Share Thread

Tags
1995, album, albums, bass, doogie white, glenn, guitar, MySpace, tour