g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Album Reviews Share your review or opinion on Glenn's past & current releases.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep-22-2004, 10:00 AM

Finland

Icon47 Iommi with Glenn Hughes - The 1996 DEP Session...

Moikka!

It is so great that finally 8th Star has developed into a real album! The 1996 Dep Sessions is really improved version of that old bootlegged demo recording. I wonder if this is the same recording at all!?!

This CD's sound is really updated and it doesn't sound like 1996 at all. Iommi has had time to think these songs a bit more and make new arrangements and guitar parts. Good!

Jimmy Copley's drumming is a great addition to overall sound of this recording. Dave Holland wasn't as tight as Jimmy. Jimmy's drumming supports Tony's riffs very well.

Like mentioned in press release, Neil Murray has played bass parts to those songs that have new parts. You can say quite easily where Neil is playing and which parts are Glenn's. I think this CD proves that Glenn should/could have played bass in Sabbath too.

I can't say where keyboards are played by Geoff Nichollsin and where by Don Airey.Both are good.

At the moment my favourite songs are Fine, which sounds a lot like Glenn's solo stuff, I'm Not the Same Man, which rocks faster than I remembered and It Falls Through Me, which reminds me the most of Seventh Star's sound.

Gone played by Iommi makes R.O.C.K. version sound like Bon Jovi... Iommi's playing is really heavy! Time Is The Healer, which is the only "unreleased" song on this CD, has terribly heavy riff in the beginning! I really can't say anything else about that song yet - it is H-E-A-V-Y and takes some time to get into.

By the way, it is funny how different Glenn's voice is on this CD compared to Addiction, which was released in 1996. On this CD he sounds more like on The Way It Is.

Now I don't bore you anymore...

Iommi/Hughes is an awesome pair - the best in hard rock!

T
Old Sep-28-2004, 4:01 PM

USA

I picked up Dep Sessions this afternoon. I still need to give it a proper listen, but Tero's comments above are spot on.
Thanks to Glenn, Tony and the others responsible for getting this released....finally!!

Chip
Old Sep-28-2004, 4:16 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you both. I also really like this version of Fine - really exaggerated and heavy riffs on the chorus - almost funky and love the Beatles-esque ending - love it

Tero, don't know about Bon Jovi, but I get what you're saying

'Time Is The Healer' could of come straight from the 'Addiction' album, it's a great song.

This is an absolute cracker of a release and I only wish it hadn't taken so long to see the light of day in this format. Can't wait to see if we get another serving from the Iommi/Hughes partnership, it really is a winning combination.

More of the same please
Old Sep-28-2004, 5:30 PM

USA

I have an early generation copy of Eighth Star and know the songs well...not a duff song in the bunch!! Don't Drag The River and I'm Not The Same Man really stand out for me...Fine is killer too...and I did catch the Beatles influence there!

Don't You Tell Me, judging from the sound clips I have heard had the riffs tweaked a bit..perhaps this is one of the tracks that Neil Murray recut the bass track for. And Glenn's voice really stands out on the new version...I do agree with the assertion that Glenn's vocals on the project are much in the vein of The Way It Is.

I get paid on Friday...got to hit the music shop!!

Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford
Old Sep-29-2004, 11:13 AM
mike.x

Hi all

You should all know that Glenn played ALL the bass on the album. Jimmy recut all the drums. Tony played a new riff to DYTM - Thats all. I love it - I hope you all do.

Cheers

Mike Exeter
Old Sep-30-2004, 6:29 AM

USA

Hi mike x., thank's for the confirmation. Hope you don't mind, but thought it would be helpful to answer someother questions we've heard, by adding your answers to similar questions from elsewhere. Cheers.

quote:
Hi

I feel we have finally done justice to something that only started as demos back in 1996.

I can definitely confirm that the album has only got ONE changed guitar track - "Don't You Tell Me".

The drums were all redone by Jimmy back in Feb. 2/3 days that were really fun for me. Jimmy's awesome. Everything else is faithful to the original sessions. All the bass is Glenn.

I hope you can all enjoy this as something that may not be 8th Star, but is maybe closer to what Tony had in mind when he set out on this project back then.

Original tracks were recorded to 2" Ampex 456 with one solo on ADAT as Tony had one at home back then. I think it was either on "Falls" or "Another World" - I should check my notes :-) 3 songs were tracked at another studio in Coventry, then Tone found out about DEP and booked in to try some more songs. We cut the other 5 live as a band then worked on building them. Vocals with Glenn was more than easy - he could sing the Yellow Pages and make it sound great. We did some rough mixes (which, along with roughs from the Coventry sessions, obvoiusly became the bootleg) and that was the end of it as the Sabb reunion was on its way.

Cut to 2004....

Multitracks were converted to Pro Tools earlier this year and then the Drums were cut at Tone's home studio directly to PT. Jimmy had a headphone mix of Glenn and Tony along with a combo of original drums and clicks in certain places. It was an amazing thing that he was able to play to that - remember, the original demos weren't ALL done to clicks.

It was great hearing Jim's overall strong approach and his drum fills giving the tracks the transitions they deserved, but the spinetingling moment was when he broke into the 2nd verse of "Fine" and opened up the hats and brought in the Snare - at that moment the track that I thought was the weakest became (i think) one of the strongest on the album.

To everyone else regarding DEP - I'm not really sure if it stands for anything. Some told me it was a Jamaican slang phrase, others said it was just something the band (UB40) came up with as a name for their record label. The studio was originally called "The Abbatoir" as it was a slaughterhouse's storage facility before they got hold of it.

All I can say about any Studio stories is that I'll try to have a think, but mostly I just remember that my ribs ached from laughing. I hate to shatter any illusions, but Tone is one of the funniest people I've had the opportunity to work with.

Mike Exeter
For everyone, in case you're wondering who Mike is....he mixed and engineered The 1996 DEP Sessions.
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to Shirean For This Useful Post:
Old Oct-01-2004, 10:24 AM

USA

I figured the local Circuit City just might have The Dep sessions in stock..and I wasn't disappointed! Dash back home and slap it onto the computer.....

YEAH BABY!!!

Kudos to Mike Exeter for his superb work on the engineering and remix. Tony's guitars are brought to the fore and this new mix gives the listener a clear picture of what these songs would sound like in front of an audience....And Jim Copley had a formidable task facing him as Mike explains in his post....imagine trying to put a foundation on a house that is already finished! His rock solid grooves combined with Glenn's thick bottom on the bass drives these songs with sheer muscle and blood.. (drum roll,cymbal crash...sorry, couldn't resist!! )

And a huge "Thank You!" to Mike for his technical lowdown on the sessions. My comment regarding Neil Murray came from an interview with the bassist on www.black-sabbath.com in which he tells of recutting bass for 2 tracks...glad to hear that the bass you hear is 100% Papa G!

Yours In The Funk
Old Oct-13-2004, 1:13 AM

USA

Just got this on Monday....Man this is really really awesome...I haven't pulled 8th Star out in awhile, especially after I heard it would be released officially, I decided to stop playing it. It's a shame the drums had to be redone, but I am rather digging the sound of the new drum tracks, the snare sounds really really good. I'm sure Copley does not compare to Dave Holland. Also it's a shame the keyboards have been mixed to non existent. These are really really great songs, My favorite is Not the Same Man. This seems to be a much more fulfilling album than Voodoo Hill 2, which has faded off my playlist after only a few weeks of play.

John
Old Oct-22-2004, 8:07 AM

USA

My only complaint is the drums... I don't like them as well -at all! I do understand thier having to distance themselves from Dave- but even at the lesser quality- Dave dynamics are better. Copley tries to sound Black Sabbath on a track or two- should have just got Bill for the job!

Mark
Old Oct-23-2004, 12:27 PM

USA

Three weeks after picking up The Dep Sessions, it is still in regular rotation on my playlist here. And it's really cool to see the press the release has been getting around the globe.

It was an 8 year wait..and well worth it!!

Yours In The Funk
Old Nov-01-2004, 10:09 AM

USA

Here's a quote from Jimmy Copley who re-did the drum parts for the The 1996 DEP Sessions CD:

"I can't tell you how great it is to work with Tony and Glenn. I was blown away with the power and energy they produce. Tony's manager, Ralph, called me to say they needed to re-record the drums and as I was going off to Russia with M3 we only had a couple of days to do it. I went to Tony's studio on a Wednesday and it went so well we finished the whole thing by lunchtime on Friday. Which was just as well as I left for Russia on Saturday. I used Cozy's [Powell] old recording kit with a 26" Kick, a really big warm sound, and my old 67 Ludwig Snare (the old faithful)! It's great playing to completed tracks, hearing Glenn's vocals/bass and Tony's guitar coming back at you; you can't help but be inspired. So we just went track after track, just me and Mike Exeter (engineer) and Tony would come in and say 'Yeah' or 'Can you try this?' or 'Do you fancy a bit of pork pie?' We had so much Stilton and pork pie that I called it the Pork Pie Project! All in all great music, great people. What more could you want? By the way, a special thanks to Mike Clement (Tony's tech) and a true gent."
Old Jan-08-2005, 5:20 AM

Finland

"From another world" my favorite..cant stop listen it again and again
Old Jan-26-2005, 11:34 AM
from the hill of voodoo

Icon27 96'dep Sessions

Well It Was My Top Cd For 2004.i Still Play It Regularly.the Combination Of Glenn And Tony Is Top Drawer ...i Can't Wait To Hear The New Stuff And If The Tour Comes Off It Will Be "not To Be Missed"
Old Oct-01-2005, 7:01 AM

UK

Icon49

i like this album, i was listening to it earlier, im gonna make my housemates listen to it later, he he.
Old Oct-01-2005, 7:57 AM

UK

Dep Sessions is an album to die for and has to be second favourite for me (after Addiction). Fused was the slowest grower but is now played 24/7 ...

It doesn't get much better than this.

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Jan-10-2006, 10:46 AM

USA

I just got this one today at lunch!! I went to the local Coconuts here in Wayne New Jersey with the intention of getting some new GH.

Well they had Soul Mover and R.O.C.K. both of which I already have, so I thought what about DEP Sessions???
They had one copy and the case even had a little crack on it but no biggie!!

I heard the first track and some of the second and that's all so far. So I'll be crankin it on the way home for sure!

I'll chime in with my thoughts when I get a good dose of it
Old Jan-10-2006, 6:04 PM

USA

Icon49

Originally Posted by Forever Young
I went to the local Coconuts here in Wayne New Jersey
with the intention of getting some new GH.

ANOTHER tourist from Philly.........
.............lost in the Willowbrook/46/23/80 shuffle, huh?

(Do you know about the "CD World" store on 46 West in Totowa?
And "Sound Exchange" on 23 North in Pequanneck?)

Yep, ya' gotta' know all "the nooks and crannies" to find Glenn's music.

Grace.........in the Jersey car with the LOUD GH music
Old Jan-11-2006, 4:47 AM

USA

Hi Grace! I've been working up here for a year and a half now. Gotta go where the $$ are! I have driven past CD World hundreds of times now and have yet to stop in. I know what I'm doing at lunch today!

I have my own name for your so called shuffle!! That is funny you brought that up! I was working here for like 3 months and everyday on the way home I got screwed up at that bleeping thing and found my way by accident. A different way everyday it seemed LOL Finally I asked someone how the hell to get on 80 W. Anyway I call it the Clusterf*%K

But I'm getting around here pretty good now. It's just another day at the office!
Old Jan-11-2006, 8:00 AM

USA

Icon49

Yep, the 'OLE Willowbrook shuffle.........
Specifically designed to drive you crazy while driving
But just think.....if you can figure THAT OUT, you can drive ANYPLACE!!!!
And even with all the cockamamie "loop the loops" that there are,
you still can't get from 80 East onto 23 North or South,
or directly onto 80 from 23 South. (That's why God invented
jug-handled "U"- turns.)

In spite of all this......when you get a chance, (after going to CD World)
go onto 23 North for a short distance from the Totowa/Wayne area;
go past the light after Treasure Island, and go to the large strip mall on your right.
The Pequanneck Mall, I think it is..........and say hello to Art the owner, as you walk
into Sound Exchange. One of the best "Mom and Pop" CD stores in Jersey. Tell Art
that you're a Glenn Hughes Crazy Person. And check out their Deep Purple section, too.
You will end up a very poor, but very happy puppy.
Old Jan-11-2006, 8:13 AM

USA

Well I'm on Newark-Pomton TPK right behind the BK on 23. Why they call it a turnpike is still a mystery to me LOL Where is the toll booth??

Anyway that place you speak of can't be more than a few miles up the road? Is it past Bottle King? I know where that is!

The hell with CD world!! This sounds better and it's gotta be closer. I'm in Wayne!!
Old Jan-11-2006, 8:20 AM

USA

WOW.....we're practically neighbors!
Let's see.......you leave 46 West to go 23 North.
You go past the Alps Road exit, go on for a little,
pass Treasure Island on your right,
and it's the strip mall with a big Michael's craft store,
or Rag Shop. Technically.....it's directly across the street
from Bachigalupe's (sp) pizza, which is kind of famous
in Wayne. Are these directions good enough for you?
Are you really going there during your lunch hour?
You're that close?

And yeah, it used to be a turnpike....from Newark to Hamburg.
Old Jan-11-2006, 8:47 AM

USA

Yup!! I'm literally a half mile from there! I am indeed going there in 15 minutes! Thanks so much!

I'm fired up now
Old Jan-11-2006, 10:51 AM

USA

Icon49

Yes, Mr. "Young"
You will discover that at one time, all GHCPs used to be very rich.
Now we are all very poor, but we don't care........

Yeah, the monster record chain stores are OK;
but give me the 'ole "Mom and Pop" store every time.
Even the kids (oops, teenagers/young 20s) who work
at Sound Exhange know their stuff, and try to be helpful.

I hope that you remembered to tell Art that:

PS.......Consider this information as your reward for figuring out:

"THE WILLOWBROOK SHUFFLE"

Grace
Old Jan-11-2006, 11:13 AM

USA

Yea well us young types generally do a good job!

Yes I talked to Art!

I knew there hada be some kind of reward for figuring out the 46-23-80 ClusterF&*k!!

Thanks again!

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Album Reviews

Share Thread

Tags
1996, 2004, addiction, album, bass, Deep Purple, drums, GHCP, GHPG.net, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, press, remix, solo, soul mover, tour, track, voodoo hill, win