g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic > Video

Video Movie Clips go here!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov-14-2004, 8:23 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Icon34 Cream to reform....

Eric Clapton has astounded the music world by finally agreeing to reform Cream, rock's first supergroup, 36 years after they split up at the height of their worldwide fame.

Back then Clapton was declared a "guitar God", Ginger Baker was the epitome of the wild-eyed rock drummer and Jack Bruce was the pioneer of a raw, biting tone for the electric bass.

Over two years they sold more than 35 million records, producing a new form of "heavy" music that fused hard rock, blues and jazz. But they were unable to survive their ego-powered celebrity.

There was such venom at the end that, years later, Clapton said the thought of a reunion "scares the living daylights out of me".

John Mayall, the veteran leader of the Bluesbreakers, the British band from which Clapton defected to create Cream in 1966, said yesterday: "I'm amazed. But Eric is always doing something unexpected. He moves in so many directions, always out front with his music."

Sources close to the musicians said that reunion plans were under way, with Clapton, 59, Bruce, 61, and Baker, 65, talking of "probably two gigs, or maybe more" at the Royal Albert Hall in May, although that venue, where Clapton staged his traditional blues stint this spring, has yet to be booked.

The hall was where Cream last performed in Britain in November 1968 after shows in America that were earning the trio $60,000 a night.

Cream have played together only once since, with searing versions of White Room, Crossroads and Sunshine of Your Love, at the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame in Los Angeles in 1993.

Clapton later told the rock writer Chris Welch, who was working on a biography of Cream: "There was a constant battle between Ginger and Jack. They loved each other's playing, but couldn't stand the sight of each other.

"I was the mediator and I was getting tired of that. Then when Rolling Stone called me the 'master of the blues clichÈ' that just about knocked me cold. That's when I decided to leave Cream."

Welch said yesterday: "I am amazed they are getting back together. They were musicians of such intensity, with Eric usually the calm one.

"They were a juggernaut, streets ahead of everyone else. I remember, as a Melody Maker journalist, Ginger ringing me up with the news that they were forming Cream. Our front page had already gone to press, so the news appeared on an inside page.

"I didn't discover until 30 years later that Ginger was hopping mad that it had been reported inside.

"There was a big fuss as each had omitted to tell their current bands they were leaving. Manfred Mann was angry at Jack for suddenly quitting - and John Mayall was not exactly thrilled by Eric's departure.

"I was at their first rehearsal, in a school hall in north-west London in July 1966, in front of a troop of brownies and a caretaker.

"Ginger had a small drum kit. Eric had a tiny amplifier. They performed three numbers: a very slow blues, a foot-stomping jug band number and a Robert Johnson song. Then we went to a transport cafe to do an interview.

"Once they started performing, they became very significant, very quickly. A problem was that they were on the road, night after night, month after month. It was a raw and exciting sound. But sustaining that kind of rock power every night was draining.

"I was genuinely shocked that they broke up. They could have done a lot more."

Rehearsals for the reunion, with new material, are expected to begin early in the new year.

Mayall, visiting London from his home in Los Angeles, said: "I can't imagine Cream's reappearance will be a marathon again, as Eric is now very much a family man.

"It's probably Eric on one of his nostalgia trips, as Jack and Ginger are not exactly headline names of this generation. It's likely to be for a charity, or the music, not the money."

Mayall hired both Clapton, and, at an earlier stage, Bruce for the Bluesbreakers. "Eric was an integral part of the band, and the first I heard that he was leaving was reading about it in Melody Maker," he said. "The trio had been quietly playing together, away from the limelight, in the rock underworld.

"Eric was a huge drawing power for my band, but I was not altogether surprised when he left. He was always a very restless soul.

"A reunion of Cream would be a classic show. The band was so influential. They helped pave the way for me in America. The Beatles were first. The Rolling Stones were next. Then there was Cream. I had my first US tour in 1968, and moved there a year later."

Cream members are staying silent at the moment about their plans. A spokesman for Clapton said that he had no comment. Bruce was on holiday, and there was no reply from Baker's farm in South Africa, where he raises polo ponies.

Baker has revealed that there was a point "when I totally went broke" in the 1970s. "I went to Eric and proposed a reunion. He said he didn't want to do it just because I was broke. This really hurt me at the time, but it was also absolutely true. That is not a reason to do something."
Old Nov-15-2004, 1:51 AM

UK

Originally Posted by David
John Mayall, the veteran leader of the Bluesbreakers, the British band from which Clapton defected to create Cream in 1966, said yesterday: "I'm amazed. But Eric is always doing something unexpected. He moves in so many directions, always out front with his music."

Mmmmm. That's not exactly how I would have described Clapton!

Must admit to being a bit underwhelmed by this news.

Weissheim's Sig:cheers
John
Old Nov-15-2004, 7:14 AM
schreinermusic

Great News

I constantly followed the career of Bruce and Clapton and know how capable they both still are. I would love to see CREAM putting out a new studio record too. That would be great. Hearing them singing together sends me shivers down my spine ....more than even Coverdale & Hughes .....

Thanks for sharing these great news with us, David!

cheers, Achim
Old Nov-15-2004, 9:08 AM

USA

Originally Posted by schreinermusic
That would be great. Hearing them singing together sends me shivers down my spine ....more than even Coverdale & Hughes ...
cheers, Achim

Uhhhhh........this would be number 3.
In second place: an all-line-up DP charity reunion concert.
And in "THE NUMBER ONE SPOTLIGHT"......

HUGHES AND COVERDALE!!!!

PS......

.......it says so in the "Member List."
Old Nov-15-2004, 2:40 PM

USA

Originally Posted by Weissheim
Mmmmm. That's not exactly how I would have described Clapton!

Must admit to being a bit underwhelmed by this news.

I agree John. I never would have said what John Mayall said about Clapton. The only way I would be "amazed" at Clapton's direction, would be if he had a hit with an original tune. He's the Michael Bolton of the rock world. Although I do like Cream, and hope this reunion goes well enough to hear some new stuff.

Chip
Old Nov-15-2004, 6:15 PM

USA

Could be the biggest tour in years

From what I hear, Ron Delsener wants to do this as a one year, fifty big-city tour and estimates the band would make $1,000,000.00 per show, not including ancillary income.

Of course that makes the ticket price bordering on obscene, yet to me worth every penny they get.

Hopefully we won't have to add huge travel fees into the pricing as with so many tours that don't get to Florida. Anyhow, great news to hear and cannot wait to see if it really happens.

Frank

Old Nov-15-2004, 9:50 PM

USA

I had no idea about this thanks for posting. Speaking of DC and GH, one of the primary influences on their harmonies in DP was Cream and DC had "I feel free" on the mix tape that played before last year's Whitesnake shows. I agree Clapton has really become quite boring a la MB of late...I was a fan of his 80's stuff, particularly the more rocking tracks on August where he really showed some fire and pulled off some great songwriting and soloing. Seems a shame that every band I'm in only does Wonderful Tonight. There's so much more than that.

John
Old Nov-18-2004, 7:09 AM

UK

I am very suprised! Ginger Baker repeatedly confessed to having hated the business and couldn't wait to get himself out. To swap his shepherd's staff (hmm Ok walking stick then) for his drumsticks again really does make my eyebrows go wahaay. Despite the cynicism, I'd go yep I'd be there.

When I was a 9 year old I went to sleep to Disraeli Gears and Are You Experienced? booming up from my sister's record player. No wonder I'm a bit weird is it???

I had the pleasure of seeing Jack Bruce AND Glenn Hughes at Uli Roth's Legends of Rock thing at Stoke (UK) a couple of years ago. (See reviews and pics on this site). Jack's highly underrated voice and playing style are still there. It was quite funny. he came to the front of the stage without his bass strapped on gazed around the 500 or so peeps in the hall and said: "Yep I think we did this one once. It was the 60s so I can't remember." Lovely moment.
Old Dec-19-2004, 5:26 PM

USA

It's Official!!

Posted yesterday at the Where's Eric website, and announced on the BBC by Clapton.

http://www.whereseric.com/clapton/ne...s_official.htm
Old Feb-01-2005, 6:58 PM

Ireland

Angry Bank

>> Tickets go on sale Monday, January 31st at 9AM, U.K. time. Tickets are priced
>> in British pounds sterling at £50, £75, £125

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw that pricing - they can't be serious!! Well apparently so and all dates are sold out! I could fly to New York and see them at Radio City Music Hall for not much more than the highest price UK ticket!!!

I'll wait for the DVD at £49.99 (no doubt). It's scandalous, but some people have coughed it up, so creamed they have been
Old Feb-03-2005, 5:29 AM

UK

according to a report in The Daily Telegraph, touts are charging £1300 for the £125 tickets. Incidentally, Bruce & Baker have said they still dont like each other and that Clapton is only doing it because the other two wont be well enough to play soon (Baker has cancer) so its now or never.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Oct-23-2005, 9:58 AM

Ireland

So the inevitable DVD is out now - has anyone seen it? What's it like, worth the money? Think I'll probably pick it up regardless. Jack Bruce still has it, although Clapton seems somewhat aloof these days. Baker by all accounts is a far better drummer now, than in their heyday. Thoughts?

http://www.cream2005.com/merch_cream_posters.lasso
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
CreamPOSTER.jpg  
Old Oct-23-2005, 12:27 PM

USA

paul i hope they cleaned it up because i remember the sound and picture were horrible on this (the color was so faded it was terrible)
Old Oct-23-2005, 12:38 PM

Ireland

Hello Tony - this is the 2005 reunion DVD I'm talking about, not the '69. Actually they have cleaned up the original Albert Hall show on DVD. You should get it if you can. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen or heard this new DVD and if the performances warrant shelling out for it I'll probably get it anyway, as I'm a big fan, but would be nice to hear any comments so I'm not overly disappointed
Old Oct-23-2005, 12:40 PM

USA

thought you were talking about the first one paul
Old Oct-23-2005, 3:29 PM

Austria

I watched it yesterday, and it's superb. It's absolutely magic.

Jack Bruce is better than he was for the last 15 years together, Ginger Baker has become old and wise, still the uncommon drummer he always used to be. And Clapton - Eric Clapton obviously had to remind himself, that he doesn't have 15 backing musicians in Cream, so it's back to basics for him. And he shines, he really does. This is the best I have ever seen him (or heard)!
And how they're enjoying it! Magic. All health issues aside (Jack Bruce sits down during the songs with Lead Vocals by Eric) they are giving 100 percent.

Also the song selection is pretty uncommon: Pressed Rat and Warthog with a fabulous Ginger Baker Lead Vocal, a dream version of Sleepy Time Time, and.... and.... and. It's all there.

And you can try and spot celebrities in the crowd, Brian May or Jude Law for example. I really don't have to mention that the production (direction included, of course) is absolutely fantastic, do I!?

This is a very special DVD of a very special historical event.

Although it's quite expensive you should go out and buy it. It's available from GBP 15,99.

Cheers,
Christian
Old Oct-23-2005, 9:46 PM

USA

There's an ad in today's LA Times and it's not too expensive, only about 22 bucks for the DVD.

John
Old Oct-24-2005, 1:25 AM

zUKUSA

Icon34 Jack Bruce

As we're talking about Cream which of course includes Jack Bruce, thought you might like to see this.

It's a rare clip in a couple of ways, mainly as he's bass-less and singing unaccompanied while playing a grand piano. A great performance indeed.

Taken from a 1982 music show on the BBC.

Enjoy
Jack Bruce LIVE at the BBC 1982 ~ Theme For An Imaginary Western - YouTube
Attached Files
File Type: mov jackbruce_bbc1982.mov (23.71 MB, 6 views)
Old Oct-24-2005, 2:39 AM

Ireland

Thanks chris, sounds like a "must have". I'll definitely have to pick it up later today.

David that's a great clip, keep them coming, thanks.
Old Dec-08-2005, 3:28 PM

zUKUSA

Icon33 USA broadcast...

For those of us in the USA.....PBS has started to broadcast the DVD, you can find out more here....

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/cream/
Old Dec-08-2005, 3:46 PM

Austria

Arrow more solo Jack Bruce

Originally Posted by David
As we're talking about Cream which of course includes Jack Bruce, thought you might like to see this.

It's a rare clip in a couple of ways, mainly as he's bass-less and singing unaccompanied while playing a grand piano. A great performance indeed.

Taken from a 1982 music show on the BBC.

Enjoy

David, I didn't see the clip when you originally posted it - Thanks, that is a rare one!

All, - if you're interested in more Solo Jack Bruce and have a Multi Region DVD Player - a DVD collection of three complete Rockpalast shows in Germany is now finally available!

It includes the legendary 1980 show in Essen with the stunning line-up of Bruce, Clem Clempson on guitar, David Sancious on keyboards and guitar and Billy Cobham on drums!

The second one is from 1983 in support of the synthetic Automatic album, again with Sancious on synths and guitar and Bruce Gary on drums.

And finally there's a solo performance from 1990 with Jack at the piano!

One for your list, Captain ?

Cheers,
Christian

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic > Video

Share Thread

Tags
1970, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1990, 1993, 1st, 2004, 2005, album, backing, bands, bass, David, drums, GHCP, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, London, Los Angeles, press, solo, tour