g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

News & Updates All the latest official News plus Glenn's live updates direct from Twitter!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec-04-2005, 9:36 PM

Canada

Arrow 1978 Recording Sessions

On the 1995 re-issue of Play Me Out there were two songs added as bonus tracks to the CD. They were recorded in March 1978 in Atlanta with a drummer named Tim Gehrt and the surviving tapes were a couple of generations old. These were intended for a follow-up album to Play Me Out but the album was never completed. Have the original tapes been found since then? If so they would be ideal to be re-issued on a future Pink Cloud release. I enjoyed the two songs and would love to hear more from that session even though there is not enough songs to make a complete album.

Conrad's Sig:For ever learning.
Old Dec-05-2005, 8:24 AM

USA

Icon47 The Atlanta Sessions

I have always enjoyed those two songs a lot...."Getting Near To You" always makes me think of the Average White Band and "Fools Condition" is a real slow burner. Sure ,the tapes aren't first generation and you can hear a wobble here and there...but it is great to see that the songs ended up as bonus cuts on the Play Me Out CD and didn't wind up as an overpriced, dodgy sounding bootleg

Tim Gehrt later played in a band called Streets which was fronted by Kansas singer/keyboardist Steve Walsh. I can remember hearing a tune called "If Love Should Go" from their debut getting a lot of airplay on 99.5 KISS FM in San Antonio when it was released in 1984 or so...I worked with two guys who had a band and that song was part of their set list.

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Dec-05-2005, 2:48 PM

USA

tim gehrt

"Born in Topeka, Kansas, drummer Tim Gehrt actually started out playing piano. At the age of nine, followed by guitar. Finally, at 13, he settled on the drums. "I always knew I wanted to play them," he explains. "It was just a matter of talking my parents into it." At 15, he joined his first band, an already-established unit that played high schools, fraternities, and clubs.

In a situation not unlike Steve's, before he even was out of high school, Tim had started playing professionally. After graduation, the same basic group of players stayed together for several years, working throughout the midwest.

Tim's band opened for Kansas on one occasion, when the meeting of Tim and Steve set up a future association.

At 23, Tim headed to Atlanta to audition for former Deep Purple bassist Glenn Hughes. He recorded some demos with Hughes, and remained in Atlanta for about six months, doing sessions with various artists. Steve Walsh was in Atlanta during the same period working on his solo album, and he enlisted Tim to play on the LP. When Hughes moved on to Los Angeles, Tim went with him, spending six months there doing various sessions".

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > News & Updates

Share Thread

Tags
1978, 1984, 1995, album, debut, Deep Purple, drums, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, Los Angeles, solo, solo album