g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Trapeze

Trapeze Talk about shows, setlists, albums, where are they now.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar-11-2005, 2:16 PM

UK

Smile Mel Galley - Exclusive!

Here’s a bit of luck!

To pass the time while waiting to have my hair cut last week (which one ? laughs my wife), I picked up the previous week’s edition of a local free newspaper which I don’t receive– The Cannock & Rugeley Chronicle.

Flicking through I came across this headline accompanied by a picture of Mel Galley:

Rockers Trapeze to bounce back in USA

Here is the text:

A cult 1970’s band, with two members from Cannock, is to make the headlines again across The Pond. American journalists are working on a book that will tell the tale of Trapeze, the rock group that featured Mel Galley and Glenn Hughes.
The trio had hits spanning more than 10 years, but after three albums, bassist Glenn left to front Deep Purple and when Trapeze ended Mel became a member of Whitesnake.

Two months ago Mel received a phone call from ex-manager Tony Perry, who lives in Wolverhampton, that journalists from America had been in touch and wanted to fly over for an interview.

It took place at the Wheatsheaf (a local pub) in Laney Green where Mel and brother Tom, who wrote a lot of the songs, re-lived old times.

Mel said he was asked about how they wrote and recorded songs and musicians they played with.

"They wanted general information about the band and I think for a rock fan it will be nice to read with lots of photos," he added. "Although we weren’t that big in England we used to do 30,000 sell out shows in America. I thought it would only be an hour but we started filming at about 1pm and I didn’t leave until after 6pm. I was the first one they had seen but I think they are doing the same with Glenn who lives in L.A. They want me to go out to America later in the year and record a solo album, which I am going to do. My wife wants me to do it because she has never been to New York."

And as a thank-you for taking part in the interview, Mel was presented with a brand new guitar. He only had one, which he had given to his 11 year old son Lucas for Christmas. "I couldn’t believe it, I was overwhelmed," said the 56 year old, who also has another son Marcus aged 31.

"They said that they had heard I hadn’t got a guitar and would I mind if they bought me one? They said it would be a pleasure if they could get me one because I never asked for anything for doing the interview."

Mel moved back to Cannock last year after living in London for more than 15 years and married Annette at the town’s register office.

He said, "I like Cannock. I like walking and come April I will be doing 20 miles a day in the woods. I used to come up to see dad, and my mum when she was alive, but things had changed. It was nice to come home although the way the roads had changed I had got no idea where I was going!"

Rather than pinch the paper from the Barber's I had to go to 2 newsagents and two estate agents (they give it away because its full of houses for sale) before I could get hold of a copy of the paper and bring all you fellow GHPGers the story.

Do I get a prize David?

Chip, I’ve saved the paper for you buddy

Grace, you could meet Mel at the airport

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Mar-11-2005, 3:37 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks wolfysmith

Great find wolfy - you must get your haircut more often

Your prize? Well, that would be the satisfaction of tracking this down and passing it along to all of us and especially Chip

Glenn mentioned there were some folks going to interview him before the show in Dudley, so I imagine this was it. It all sounds very interesting, hopefully it'll all come to fruition in the not too distant future.
Old Mar-11-2005, 3:38 PM

USA

Thanks Wolfy, for getting me a copy. I really appreciate it.

It was a shame our plans to hook up with Mel didn't pan out while I was in Cannock, but all this good news makes up for that. Mel's a super guy.

Chip

Chip's Sig:Chip
Old Mar-11-2005, 3:48 PM

USA

Thanks for that Wolfy...very nice of you to track that down and share it.

John
Old Mar-12-2005, 11:05 AM

USA

Icon16

Oh, that's just great.

Wolfy - you have to hang around barbershops and newsstands.
Me - I have to live at the airport.

And who's this Mel Galley, that he should get a free guitar, huh?
(Probably a new GH bass in "California Blue.") BOO HOO.

PS......great report, Wolfy!!!

Looks like you should at least get this as "a tattoo prize":

------->
------->
Grace
Old Mar-13-2005, 10:07 AM

UK

As usual Wolfy, your finger's on the pulse! Though I'm sure it helps living where you do!

Oh, to open my local paper and see such an article. Thanks again, Wolfy.

Shirl's Sig:'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '
Old Mar-16-2005, 8:55 AM

USA

Icon34 The Trapeze Story

All sorts of great news....now the rest of the world will be able to understand what all of us here have known for so long....just how special Trapeze really were!!

I was also touched when I read of Mel being presented with a guitar....I always thought Mel was one of the unsung heroes of the guitar; he had that hard funkiness to his playing and I also loved the tone he deveoped around the time of You Are The Music... There are times when he reminded me of the late, great Paul Kossoff...check out his Leslie drenched soloing on the track "Time Wil Heal" from the Hold On LP. We certainly can't forget his yeoman work on Play Me Out either.Mel was one of those players who didn't try to blind you with flash...instead he made every note count and his solos on "What Is A Woman's Role" and "Will Our Love End" are lyrical and sweet. And talk about trying to fill a huge pair of shoes as a lead singer... I thought Mel did a fabulous job on the LP's as the lead singer and especially love the way he and Pete Goalby sang together!

I was surfing through one of those rock memorabillia sites and they had pictures of a black Les Paul Custom that once belonged to Mel and was also used by Budgie guitarist John Thomas....some collector has it in his stash...it may very well be the one you see in the sleeve pics of "Dead Arrmadillos" and the 1976 self-titled LP.

I know that Mel has had to struggle with his arm injury over the years and I am so glad that the Trapeze story will be told....now we can let everyone in on one of the best kept secrets in rock!!

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Mar-17-2005, 6:48 AM

USA

Originally Posted by captmidnite1962
All sorts of great news....now the rest of the world will be able to understand what all of us here have known for so long....just how special Trapeze really were!!

I know that Mel has had to struggle with his arm injury over the years and I am so glad that the Trapeze story will be told....now we can let everyone in on one of the best kept secrets in rock!!!

Reading your post, Captain, it struck me.......

Maybe we should start a campaign to get "TRAPEZE"
into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Whaddiya think?

Grace
Old Mar-22-2005, 7:49 PM

USA

Hello Grace,

Got sidetracked a bit the last few days...but that doesn't mean I was ignoring you!!

Regarding the RRHOF, what seemingly began as a heartfelt and sincere tribute to the founding fathers and groundbreakers of rockn'roll has been revealed for the back slapping old boy's network that is is. Every year the new list of inductees is announced and every year, the fans of many a deserving group are left to wonder "Hey..how come* insert name of overlooked act here* didn't make the cut?" Be it Deep Purple, Grand Funk, Todd Rundgren,Black Sabbath.....the list is endless. Read the interview that our very own Todd Seely did with Steve Lukather and you get the picture...if you are "IN" with the "critics who would be gods" at "Rolling Stone"...your installment on Mt. Olympus is a sure thing...

Trapeze is in the only Hall Of Fame that matters....that of the fans who bought the records and have fond memories of gigs they attended...

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins
Old Mar-23-2005, 10:25 AM

USA

Originally Posted by captmidnite1962
Trapeze is in the only Hall Of Fame that matters..........

Bill, when you're right, you're right.
Old Sep-04-2005, 10:00 PM

USA

Icon34 The Cannock & Rugeley Chronicle - March 3, 2005

As promised in an earlier post above, Wolfy sent me the paper he saved. Attached is the two photos that accompanied the article. The second photo of Trapeze is interesting, in the fact that another similar photo from the same photo shoot was used for the back CD cover of "Trapeze's "LIVE Way Back To The Bone".

Chip
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
img021.jpg   img022.jpg  

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Trapeze

Share Thread

Tags
1970, 1976, 2005, albums, bass, book, Cannock, cover, David, Deep Purple, GHCP, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, London, Mel Galley, solo, solo album, track, Trapeze