g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures > Video

Video Got movie clips? Place them here, along with your gig Report!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb-13-2005, 3:50 PM

UK

Icon34 Edinburgh Pix, Clip & Review

Just got home from the show in Edinburgh. I know that many of you in far away places will think that I am extremely lucky having just seen Glenn live twice in three nights. I know how lucky I am.

I'll keep it brief for now. Glenn was AWSOME yet again. but what else would we expect? The venue was small but very busy and the sound quality was good. The set list was almost identical to the previous two shows, but more on that shortly.

There were a couple of minor mistakes: the band made a mess of the ending of Orion (only Glenn kept it together) and Glenn even forgot the words to Let It Go at one point. But hey, these things happen to live bands. Many of us will have been there, done that.

The biggest problem came towards the end. When Glenn came back out for the encores his inner ear monitor system wasn't working. Two roadies worked away on it but couldn't fix it. The band had to ad lib an extended intro to Seventh Star while they waited for Glenn. Glenn had to ask for the on stage monitors to be turned up so that he could hear himself. Glenn was not happy about this and he could be clearly seen and heard telling the band that they would not play Burn. So the show ended with Seventh Star. It's a shame for anyone who was only attending this show that they missed out on one more song.

Overall, another wonderful performance from Glenn and the band. Unfortunately that's my last show of this tour. I hope you all enjoy the rest of the tour as much as I enjoyed Dudley and Edinburgh.

Ian

PS For those who bought the tour poster in Dudley and Bradford, they were giving them away free tonight!!!
Old Feb-13-2005, 4:04 PM

UK

Wow Cameron. You were quick! (I'm just down the road from you).

Great gig. Got some okay pix and a few mpeg clips.

Weissheim's Sig:cheers
John
Old Feb-13-2005, 4:35 PM

USA

Lucky Bastards...

Glad Ya'll Got Too See A Good Show,,,what Do You Think The Attendance Was? I Was In Edinburgh Last June,the Only Way It Could Have Been A Better Time,was If I Could Have Seen Glenn.........cheers
Old Feb-13-2005, 4:53 PM

UK

awesome show. My first ever GH show and i was really impressed.I was really upset at Burn not being played. I was really looking forward to the "You know we had no time" part. Oh well maybe next time. When did he say he'd be back with Chad ?

Oh and Mistreated was great and so was all the stuff from Soulmover
Old Feb-13-2005, 11:41 PM

UK

That was an excellent show!

Set list heavily geared towards Soul Mover, with the odd glimpse of Glenn's past.

The version of Mistreated ranks up there with the very very best I've ever heard. JJ played some beautiful guitar at the start, and Glenn's vocal performance was astonishing. I shot a few MPEGs of Mistreated, but unfortunately most of them are too large to post here.

Other highlights of the set for me were Orion, Let It Go, Medusa and Don't Let Me Bleed.

I think Glenn has got the mix of solo material vs. Purple/Sabbath/Trapeze just right on this tour, although if I'm being picky I would have had one more old solo tune in place of a Soul Mover track. Written All Over Your Face, Second Son, Blue Jade, Inside - any of these would have done nicely

Glenn did a lot of talking in between songs, letting slip that High Road was written for anothe artist (wouldn't name them, but said we could possibly work it out by listening to the song) and that Don't Let Me Bleed was written about events that took place 28 years ago (Purple breakup?).

One thing I did find weird is that Glenn appears to be distancing himself slightly from the rest of his solo catalogue. He mentioned that there were a "couple" of things that JJ and himself were still happy with. Personally I think he's been on a roll since Building The Machine and hasn't put a foot wrong, be it solo material or HTP. He's obviously (rightly) proud of Soul Mover, but I wouldn't like the importance of the back catalogue to be diminished.

As Ian says, there were problems at the end with Glenn's ear monitoring system, so he looked a bit uncomfortable performing Seventh Star - still an awesome version though - and declined to perform Burn. A minor disappointment, but overall a superb gig.

I'm just getting to grips with my new digital camera, so the stills didn't come out quite as good as I would have liked, but anyway :-

Attached Files
File Type: mpg Mistreated2.MPG (7.34 MB, 129 views)

John
Old Feb-14-2005, 5:12 AM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Thumbs up Scotland

Great stuff everyone, thanks for the detailed reviews and pix.
Old Feb-14-2005, 9:19 AM

UK

Hi all that attended last night & thanks for the reviews.
Whilst I know who you guys were really going to see odd I haven't read any comments on the support groups........or is it, 'No Comment'!!

What time did Glenn got on stage last night?? I am due to go to London tomorrow but if it is going to be like Dudley & Bradford, I'll get to see half hour at most .

Cheers
Ben
Old Feb-14-2005, 9:55 AM
Big Spo

My first GH show, it was the dogs b**locks, why have I missed him all these years. I'm now however depressed that I missed Burn, thought Seventh Star was the normal ending. Anyway 'til next time...

John, you must have been the only bloke in the place taller than me, I only got stuck behind you briefly though ! Ben, re the support,The Lizards, I enjoyed them though their set was cut short due to time constraints, the venue changed over to a disco at 2200hrs. They're worth watching though, including top drumming from Bobby Rondinelli.

I'm now off to start purchasing the GH back catalogue..
Old Feb-14-2005, 2:01 PM

UK

Originally Posted by Big Spo
My first GH show, it was the dogs b**locks, why have I missed him all these years. I'm now however depressed that I missed Burn, thought Seventh Star was the normal ending. Anyway 'til next time...

John, you must have been the only bloke in the place taller than me, I only got stuck behind you briefly though ! Ben, re the support,The Lizards, I enjoyed them though their set was cut short due to time constraints, the venue changed over to a disco at 2200hrs. They're worth watching though, including top drumming from Bobby Rondinelli.

I'm now off to start purchasing the GH back catalogue..

I'm also depressed at missing Burn. I was nearly in tears when Glenn put his bass down after Seventh Star I was that desperate to see Burn. Oh well maybe next time
Old Feb-14-2005, 2:12 PM
Funky

Funky Glenn in bonny Scotland

Fourth time seeing the man in action......superb!!! Packed venue. Soul Mover material sounds better live than on the album, but a fantastic gig, & his voice as ever was outstanding. As mentioned though , only disappointment was Burn not being played due to the technical difficulties (and the nutter down the front that wouldn't shut the hell up). But I'm off down to Sheffield to see him play again on Thursday.....any one jealous?
Old Feb-14-2005, 10:44 PM

UK

The Lizards were okay. I took about 45 minutes to actually find the venue once I was in Edinburgh (!@#?!) so only caught about 10 minutes of their set, 5 minutes of which was the Rondinelli drum solo!

If they were short of time, why did they include a solo!!

They're all good musicians, and Mike DiMeo has a very strong voice. Would have liked to have heard a bit more to be able to judge them properly.

John
Old Feb-15-2005, 4:08 AM

UK

It's good to hear the people turned up for Glenn in Edinburgh. We'd put the word about, but you are never sure especially on a Sunday. Norwich on a Wednesday is a bit of an unknown quantity though.

The Lizards: well I was there at Dudley and Bradford and felt that that their music was quite old fashioned to be honest. Then I was talking to their manager and read one or two interviews and realised that I was missing a trick. The rock n blues thing is a conscious move to get back to basics. They remind me alot of Mountain in their hey day which is no bad thing. It worked well enough and the music has grown on me a little more with Bobby R defintely providing the Umph. I know what you mean about the drum solo though! Not a good use of time methinks. It's a well chosen package though to have these boys and Glenn on the same bill and worth the admission money.

So come on you Norfolk folk where are you? Tell your friends, steal a canal boat, ride a horse on the High Road but be there and don't miss out on the Voice of Rock.
Old Feb-15-2005, 5:23 AM

UK

Smile

Hi all Norfolk here,Looking forward to the concert Wednesday night hope its not too far out of the way for all the funkmeisters to go.This will be the 6 th time i have seen Glenn live and the 3rd time in Norwich the last being in a pub venue (The Oval) for the Addiction tour.I couldn`t beleive it when Norwich was a venue i thought it may have been Cambridge again i thought there was a good turn out last year.Oh and by the way i shall not be going on a tractor!
Old Feb-15-2005, 1:44 PM

UK

Well, apart from Burn I am glad the Edinburgh show was a success.

I am just disappointed that after years of leading the 'Glenn must play Scotland' campaign that I have now moved back to England and still cant get to an effin show (due to the new job!!!).

Have fun you funksters!!!
Old Feb-21-2005, 9:36 PM

UK

5 star review from the Scottish Sunday Mail!
Attached Thumbnails (click to enlarge)
Hughes Review.jpg  

John
Old Feb-21-2005, 10:25 PM

zUKUSA

Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,480 Posts
Thumbs up Edinburgh clips

With many thanks to fellow Fan Forum member, Weissheim, we now have a couple of video clips to share from the Edinburgh gig - short but sweet

Soul Mover - Orion - Mistreated
Attached Files
File Type: mov soulmover021305.mov (1.72 MB, 45 views)
File Type: mov orion021305.mov (5.10 MB, 31 views)
File Type: mov mistreated021305.mov (6.18 MB, 31 views)
Old Apr-07-2005, 2:19 PM

Ireland

Was at this show about 2 months ago and it was definlty a top one in my books. Does anyone have any sort of recording of this show?
Old Apr-08-2005, 11:41 PM

UK

Originally Posted by fishdancer
Was at this show about 2 months ago and it was definlty a top one in my books. Does anyone have any sort of recording of this show?

See my reply on the bootlegs board

http://fanforum.ghpg.net/showthread....2959#post12959

John

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > LIVE > Reports & Pictures > Video

Share Thread

Tags
2005, addiction, album, bands, bass, events, GHPG.net, glenn, guitar, HTP, London, Pix, solo, soul mover, tour, track, Trapeze, Video