g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Keepin' Time

Keepin' Time Are you a songwriter or musician influenced by Glenn and his music? If you'd like to share your own musical compositions with us - you can do so here.

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan-12-2005, 2:41 PM

UK

Hi Ross,

Hey many thanks for your comments ....you made me blush.

About a heavy voice.....well this is what happened to me....While in a band when the rock scene was thrash metal...the rest of the guys wanted to cover Metallica,Anthrax and Megadeath amongst the standard songs so with that a rougher voice was needed,so i tended to really push out the voice and slightly tensed the throat to get the roughness ie.James Hetfield,Lemmy etc.but this was'nt good and i could'nt speak the day after let alone do 2/3 gigs a week .

These songs were slowly replaced by Faith No More,Sound Garden(earlier),Rage Against The Machine etc......so i did'nt have to tense the throat as much but the "power" of the voice remained(still pushing it).

The problem with recording at home is that i can't sing as i would've done live otherwise i'll be annoying a few people so i still push the diaphram/stomach muscles but cut the volume....compress.

Like you Ross i've had a few lessons but to find the metal voice i sung at max. volume at a band practice,gig,alone in the car or on a deserted beach untill i found what i wanted then i would back it off.

Hope that all makes sense but prob. not the correct way.

Cheers....
Pete S.
Old Jan-14-2005, 2:23 AM

UK

Thanks for the info. I've always wondered how people sang with the "heavy metal voice". While I haven't practiced for years, I do include a "singing" session with my son while reading stories. I tried some bits of Purple and Led Zep to see if anything hm-ish would come out, but no dice

Cheers,

Ross-c

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > MUSIC > Keepin' Time

Share Thread

Tags
1978, 1994, albums, bass, cover, David, Deep Purple, GHCP, glenn, Glenn Hughes, guitar, keys, Shirean, solo, track, win