g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m - Fan Forum

Go Back   Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic > Audio

Audio Soundbytes go here!

Post New Thread Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec-05-2004, 4:14 AM

UK

Sad/UnHappy Coverdale Murders Burn & Stormbringer Shock!!

Well, went to see Whitesnake in Glasgow at the SECC. Was really looking forward to a good show, having read lotsa reveiws on Cov's website. Had heard Burn was to be played, which added to the anticipation.

Well, whilst not wishing to write a long piece here are the bones....

It was the last night of the tour but....

Cov seemed tired
The band seemed tired
Cov's voice has seen better days
Lotsa karaoke on all songs
Burn was horrendous and the link to Stormbringer a mess!
Who nowadays has an 8 minute drum solo and the same for a geetar solo?

Jeez am I cursed in to not enjoying music anymore?

The geetarists seem to want to shred every solo - bring back moody n marsden!!

Not a good night and listening to people on the train home, several others were dispoointed too.

Glenn has by far THE best voice.

Cov - just retire gracefully and leave us all with the memory of a great bluesy voice of your Purple days and early Whitesnake.
Old Dec-05-2004, 4:46 AM

UK

I agree, David has not got Glenn's voice or that live spontaneity that makes every GH show both nerveracking and exciting in equal measure.

I saw the first few dates of the Whitesnake UK tour and the shows were excellent but at Derby last week the band did seem tired although the audience reception was again tremendous.

All things considered I find it amazing that both David and Glenn are still 'treading the boards' on a regular basis and you never know the 'Unrighteous Brothers' may yet still decide to tour again together (!).

Until then I will carry on counting down the days until 'Soul Mover Tour 2005'

Stay Fun(ky),
Mike D
Old Dec-05-2004, 10:14 PM

UK

I was at Glasgow too, and thought it was a pretty good show (but with a few provisos). Coverdale was in good form - yes, his voice isn't anything like it was in his heyday, but it was fairly good considering it was the last date of a long tour. His banter with the crowd was excellent.

I agree about the guitarists though - absolutely no feeling, widdle-widdle-widdle, very dull. I can't see why Doug Aldrich in particular gets such a good reaction from the crowd - he bores me to tears. Saw him with Dio on the Killing The Dragon tour, and was similarly unimpressed, although his solo spot was slightly better this time. He played a few notes that indicated that behind the speed there might be an interesting player trying to get out.

Tommy Aldridge is too loud!! I was about 5 feet in front of the speaker stack and his bass drum (especially at the end of Bad Boys) wiped out the rest of the band. Didn't much like his drum solo either - I've seen him with Thin Lizzy and it's okay the first time you see the bare hands bit, but doesn't inspire much interest again.

Having said all that, I thoroughly enjoyed the gig! Burn/Stormbringer was carried off quite well I thought and an acapella Blind Man was the highlight of the gig (along with Take Me With You - which was an inspired reintroduction to the set). I didn't like the heavy-handed treatment of Don't Break My Heart Again, but apart from that it was excellent.

Over the last few months I've seen most of my favourite vocalists (Dio, Gillan, Coverdale), with Glenn to follow. The winner so far (easily) is Dio, although I expect the rankings to change somewhat in February!

Chris - are you going to see M3 at Lochgelly in February? A chance to see some proper guitarists

Weissheim's Sig:cheers
John
Old Dec-06-2004, 1:42 AM

UK

Originally Posted by chris spencer
Was really looking forward to a good show, having read lotsa reveiws on Cov's website.

Never a good idea to rely on reviews from the Whitesnake site! They are heavily edited and screened.

John
Old Dec-06-2004, 2:33 AM

UK

I missed the tour due to lack of funds and I'm still a bit sad I missed it even though it doesn't sound too hot. If any of my heroes retired from the mainstream, there'd be a little lump in my throat for sure (as was the case with Jon Lord). But then again, when I was clutching my Deep Purple tour prog on Row H in 1976, I never envisaged I'd have been sitting here in 2004 waiting for a reborn Glenn Hughes to come round again! I guess it's all relative. Life's too short etc etc
Old Dec-06-2004, 4:17 AM

UK

i dont know why some press reviews rave about the drum solo with his hands.
Its not new. I saw Bobby Rondelli do it much better years ago in Rainbow.
And im sure plenty of others have done it over the years.

wolfysmith's Sig: "It's in my blood"
Old Dec-07-2004, 4:14 PM

USA

the drum solo with his hands is tommy aldridge trademark he always did it with blackoak arkansas
Old Dec-10-2004, 6:28 AM

Finland

Murders Burn? isn't that a little bit too much..?? i was in two concert here in Helsinki and i liked what i saw...No overweighted 'hasbeen' mumbling old tunes but sheer power and talent..Coverdale has always been the craspy one of 'righteus bros' so i didn't expect pure vocals or pavarotti either.. Man...Coverdale is a Shouter but a damn good one.

Btw i'm a fan of 70's rock and i want to see/ hear long solos. They're part of the show in my opinion... Well that's about it i just dig Cov as mush i dig Glenneth and i do hope everyone in this board will have a fabulous x-mas!!

best regards

Mark/ Finland

Ps. Santa says hi all
Old Dec-12-2004, 10:30 PM

UK

A review of the Glasgow gig -> http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sevenday...l&siteid=86024

John
Old Dec-13-2004, 2:43 AM
schreinermusic

Icon30 Almost Crazy

Weissheim, thanks for sharing!
If anyone here has a boot or a short clip (or anything else exept underwear) from the current opening medley "Burn/Stormbringer" from the Whitesnake concerts, please post it here. There are thousands of people (mostly the collectors) eagerly wanting to hear HIS version of these classic songs!!!!!!!!!
Have mercy and post....

cheers, Achim

Old Dec-13-2004, 4:23 PM

UK

Originally Posted by schreinermusic
Weissheim, thanks for sharing!
If anyone here has a boot or a short clip (or anything else exept underwear) from the current opening medley "Burn/Stormbringer" from the Whitesnake concerts, please post it here. There are thousands of people (mostly the collectors) eagerly wanting to hear HIS version of these classic songs!!!!!!!!!
Have mercy and post....

cheers, Achim

Burn/Stormbringer medley attached!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Burnbringer.mp3 (8.26 MB, 39 views)

John
Old Dec-13-2004, 4:39 PM

USA

That wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be and was way better than what I heard on the radio four years ago in LA Wed the 15th. The problem is nobody can compare to Glenn this days and that's what brings this down. Not quite a butcher...I'm sure if you were there it must have been awsome. I don't like the chopping of Stormbringer...why not do the whole thing?

John
Old Dec-13-2004, 5:20 PM
schreinermusic

Icon47 Thanx so much, mate

Hey Weissheim!

Thanks so much indeed for posting! That was a BIG surprise for me today!! Thats why I luv this board....

I will also look for some rarities in my archives..

cheers, Achim
Old Dec-13-2004, 10:08 PM

UK

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm not 100% sure where the clip was recorded - it arrived in my email one day It was pre 24th September 2004, so must have been the German or Scandinavian legs of the tour.

John

Navigate: Glenn Hughes Fan Forum > COMMUNICATE > Off Topic > Audio

Share Thread

Tags
1976, 2004, 2005, bass, David, Deep Purple, glenn, Glenn Hughes, press, solo, soul mover, tour, win