View Single Post
Old Aug-20-2009, 3:10 PM

USA

It's interesting that my post about DC, turned into this fascinating
thread about who should, who shouldn't, and who already has......

But I'm kind of surprised that nobody thought to mention the Beach Boys.
You couldn't call them rock, (not evn if you were a little old lady from Pasadena)
especially after somebody came up with the phrase "surf music" when Dick Dale
first appeared on the scene. But they at least deserve a mention, beause they've
lost original people, they've broken up and re-formed, and they were, and are,
the only people who could do justice ~ live ~ to "Good Vibrations."
Anybody want to write a doctoral thesis on the broken genius of Brian Wilson?

As far as DC is concerned......I hope that while he is recovering, and going slightly crazy
at his house with nothing else to do, he wanders over to our favorite web site = GH.com
and takes our advice: A blusey-funk / funky-blues album collaboration with our other favorite
former "purple boy."

OK, we all know how prejudiced I am in favor of the two composers of "You Keep on Moving."
Glenn has sworn to us, many times, how that song was written when they were both
....only 5 years old.
Consider it to be a school reunion between classmates; after all they both went to Deep Purple
University together, right? But guys......you both know enough about music, (and so would the
sound technicians in the booth) to team up together and give us Mk3 and 4 fans that beautiful
Hughes/Coverdale harmony, that so many of us crazy people have never forgotten.

OK, OK, I'll even agree to calling it the Coverdale/Hughes harmony, if that will help.

So......if you happen to be reading this, Mr. Coverdale ~
Take good care of yourself, be well, think about a CD of acoustic blues - sung in beautiful harmony
with Mr. Hughes, make a gazillion dollars for yourselves, and make your long-time fans very happy.

Originally Posted by FCinnella View Post
Ian Hunter, well, anyone who read my posts here
knows what I think of Hunter. At 70 years of age
(that's right 70), he still can outwrite, outperform and
outplay so many of those younger classic rockers.
Heck, he still looks much the same as he did 25 years ago.
I think Ian Hunter is the finest songwriter of our era
(at least MY era), and he just keeps going strong.

Frank,
After reading you comments about Ian Hunter, I opened up
my copy of The New Yorker Magazine for August 3, 2009,
to Page 15, and found this review:

POP NOTES
STILL AFLOAT

Ian Hunter, who recently turned seventy, is on a protracted winning streak
that both belies his age and finds him making full use of his experience.
The former Mott the Hoople front man began his solo career after leaving the band
in 1974, and he's been through his ups ("Once Bitten Twice Shy," "Just Another Night")
and downs (the over-produced, underwritten records of the eighties). In 2001, Hunter
released "Rant" a powerful record full of nostalgic rave-ups, acerbic assssments of his
fellow-man, and emotional ballads. "Shrunken Heads," from 2007, was even better;
the opener, "Words (Big Mouth)," is one of the finest songs ever written about
the limitations of language.

Hunter's new album, "Man Overboard" (New West), finds him revisiting the successful formula
of those recent records, focussing on strong songwriting and straightforward rock and roll.
As Hunter has gotten older, he has gotten better at writing songs that are about something
different from what they first appear to be - or rather, he writes songs that are about more
than one thing. The opener, "The Great Escape," takes a story about a youthful barroom
fight and refashions it as a tragicomic meditation on morality. "Girl from the Office," a sweet look
at a workplace crush, has plenty to say about masculinity, freedom, and mystery. "Babylon Blues"
has a wonderfully ragged vocal from Hunter, here in the service of a spirited bit of invective
("Don't try pulling me down to your level / Ain't nothing worse than a phoney-@$$ed rebel").
And the title track starts off as a companion piece to his late-seventies hit "Ships" and ends up
as an equivocal defense of the escapist powers of alcohol.

Hunter and his Mott bandmates are reuniting for a set of shows in October at the Hammersmith
Apollo in London. Most likely, they won't play any of his solo material. Their loss.

- Ben Greenman