View Single Post
Old Feb-26-2006, 4:22 AM

UK

Early Galleys!

Thought you might be interested in the band Mel was in when we first became friends. It would have been back in 1963 (circa) Mel and his brother Tom had a blues band called the Interns. Tom was the vocalist, Mel lead guitar, Johnny Jevons on bass and I can't remember who was on drums. They used to prctice in this upstairs room over a pub in Cannock called The Unicorn.

I was at art college in Stafford and was pals with a fella called Jeremy Spencer who was a couple of years behind me. He was a Mod back then and played wonderful Blues/Jazz/Boogie piano – a real natural! I messed about on harmonica myself and we would jam in the college canteen at lunchtime.

One night I took Jeremy over to Cannock to meet the band, as I thought he would make a great addition to the group. He sat in and jammed with them – but as I recall, Tom did'nt feel the same and rejected him.

If the name sounds familiar, three or four years later Jeremy was playing the haunting slide riff on "Albatross" – he went on to become one of the founder members of the original Fleetwood Mac!

Small world isn't it!!
The Following Funkmeister Says Thank You to hackney For This Useful Post: