View Single Post
Old Oct-11-2008, 4:54 AM

Austria

The 2nd leg of the Gorham/Sykes Lizzy Tour with Uriah Heep started only yesterday, so before that they played a couple of Solo Shows throughout Europe, including one in Vienna Wednesday night

This was my third Gorham/Sykes Thin Lizzy show and musically probably the best so far, though I will never forget my first Lizzy show back in 2000 with Marco Mendoza on bass and Darren Wharton on keyboards, who has left the Gorham/Sykes line-up since. It was also in a different venue than the last two times, and very well attended.

Surprisingly they played Dancing In The Moonlight and Southbound, that has never been played during a Thin Lizzy Tour until now - the recording on Live and Dangerous comes from a soundcheck (!).

Both Gorham and Sykes are still top guitarists, Sykes seemed to have a bit of a cold (well, half of Europe has) and didn't pull off the big show he usually does, but still managed to pull through stunningly.

Add the legendary Tommy Aldridge on drums and Evanesence's Francesco DiCosmo on bass (an odd choice at the first glance, but an excellent performer with a great presence on stage who throughly enjoys playing those songs) and you get a perfect 90-minute performance.
Sadly for those people attending the double-bill with Uriah Heep, Lizzy's set will definitely be shorter.

Check out Scott Gorham's Tour Blog at MYSPACE.

Uriah Heep will play a headline show here November 6th. Saw them at a festival 3 years ago, then still with Lee Kerslake on drums, where they were surprisingly good (they had payed a couple of low-key shows in the Nineties, and I had lost interest in the current line-up) but I will still probably miss out this time.

Cheers,
Christian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg THINLIZZY20081008-1.jpg (120.8 KB, 10 views)

chrisloeb's Sig:
MEDUSA