View Single Post
Old Oct-10-2008, 11:02 AM

USA

Icon34 Would you please welcome's England's own...Uriah Heep!!

Hey Frank,

If you want to see Heep in the States I will be right there in line with you! I was fortunate enough to see Heep in Indianapolis back in the summer of 2001; they played a short tour of the US that was of the shoestring budget variety. They had their truck break down in Wheeling WV, I think it was, and put out a message on the website for help; several fans got a truck and moved the band's gear to the next gig as I recall. Talk about die hard fans!!

Given the state of the touring industry in the States..and that has been commented upon from artists as varied as Bill Bruford, John Young, JLT, hey take your pick. It is really difficult for a smaller drawing act to tour the States and make ends meet. The Indy Heep show was free.....they played at the Eight Seconds Saloon, a former bowling alley made over into a country dance hall.

I still remember the meet and greet after the show and the sight of Lee Kerslake holding court with a group of fans. Clad in shorts and a tank top, Lee looked as if he were standing on someone's patio at a barbecue. He was telling some great stories and was quite jovial...until someone brought up Ken Hensley's name. That lit him off.....nothing nasty mind you, but he minced no words in detailing Mister H's power plays. He told a story about playing a gig in Fort Wayne in the dead of summer...it was brutally hot and one of the roadies was pouring ice water down his back while he played.

I checked out the UH website; there is a drum clinic article about Lee written by Russell Gilbrook (Heep's new drummer) and it is an appreciation of Lee as a player as well. Lee played for the song..not for himself and he drove the engine room for almost 35 years.....

Pretty cool, I say...

captmidnite1962's Sig:Yours In The Funk
Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins