Glenn Hughes Fan Forum

Glenn Hughes Fan Forum (http://www.glennhughes.com/fanforum/index.php)
-   Polls & Questions? (http://www.glennhughes.com/fanforum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Favourite obscure singers? (http://www.glennhughes.com/fanforum/showthread.php?t=6359)

CrazyW Jul-05-2009 8:33 AM

Favourite obscure singers?

Whenever a favourite singers thread comes up, we get the usual names: Mercury, Hughes, Gillan, Plant, Perry, Dio, Halford, ...

But I'm interested in hearing some of the less obvious choices, so I'll start by naming a few which I really like but never really made it big.

Danny Vaughn (Waysted, Tyketto)
Ron Young (Little Caesar)
Tony Harnell (TNT)
Michael Matijevic (Steelheart)
John Sykes (Blue Murder, most people think of him as a guitarist but he's a great singer)
Ray Gillen (Badlands, was kinda big for a while but died way too early)
Paul Shortino (Rough Cutt)
Mark Free (King Kobra)
Kelly Hansen (Hurricane, Foreigner)
Derek St Holmes (Ted Nugent, this guy should've been huge but didn't do much besides the Nugent albums)
Lenny Wolf (Kingdom Come)

Paul J Jul-05-2009 11:50 AM

Ray Gillen difinitely. Can't agree with you about John Sykes. Weakest thing on the BLUE MURDER albums is his singing. OK for backing singers but too weak for lead vocals. They would have been huge with Glenn singing. Don't know some of the others you have stated. Was one guy, Rob Hawthorne who sang for Alaska [Bernie Marsden ex whitesnake] who was really good.

Paul

chutsler Jul-05-2009 1:25 PM

I really hate to refer to him as 'obscure' but Frankie Miller is one of my faves......he never really caught on this side of the pond...but the man's a monster!!!! :bow:

Chip Jul-05-2009 1:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chutsler (Post 39732)
I really hate to refer to him as 'obscure' but Frankie Miller is one of my faves......he never really caught on this side of the pond...but the man's a monster!!!! :bow:

Good one Chuck :thumbsup: I had to get into my itunes and find "Double Heart Trouble", which I'm playing now.

Just a couple choices that come to mind...

Peter French (Leafhound - Cactus - Atomic Rooster - Randy Pie)
Steve Gould ( Rare Bird - Runner - Alvin Lee)

chrisloeb Jul-05-2009 3:12 PM

Great thread, CrazyW - excellent choice, Chip & Chuck!

Play Something Sweet (Brickyard Blues) from Frankie Miller's High Life has been in my iPod Playlist from the beginning!

And I have all those Rare Bird albums on vinyl of course ;) (Hi Chip!) plus the sole LP from the follow-up band RUNNER.
Steve Gould's vocal on Sympathy is particularly impressive if you listen to what he's actually singing (lyrics did matter back in the day, people!) :bow:

Pete French was great on In Hearing of... Atomic Rooster, but somehow disappeared after that, did he? :huh: I do have a later solo album called Ducks in Flight on vinyl though, but unfortunately it is not very memorable.

So I'll add names to this list then:

Steve Ellis
James Dewar
Jimmy Helms
John Lawton

just to name a few...

Cheers,
Christian

chutsler Jul-05-2009 7:06 PM

Chip, Peter French is an excellent choice....and Christian, Jimmy Dewar definitely belongs in the top ten list!!!

brucel Jul-05-2009 11:47 PM

Interesting thread..
what about:
Terry Wilson Slesser (Crawler)
Pete Goalby (Trapeze, Uriah Heep)
John Gustaffson (Quatermass, Ian Gillan Band)
Strange to have another quality singer with IGB, as well as Ian,
but there you go.
Maybe these guys aren't so obscure, but perhaps not mainstream popular rock vocalists.

FCinnella Jul-06-2009 7:16 AM

What is obscure ? To Chip and Chris (and some others), there are no obscure names since they seem to have every recording ever made :)
For me:
Steve Ellis (Widowmaker, Love)
Bernie Shaw (Uriah Heep)
Ron Tree (Hawkwind)

purplemusic Jul-06-2009 9:12 AM

Good one's listed so far. Some I know, some I don't. Here's a few more for the list though:

Steve Walsh-Kansas
Rhett Forrester-Riot
Robin Zander-Cheap Trick
Joyce "Baby Jean" Kennedy-Mothers Finest

peace,

Arjen Jul-06-2009 10:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My favorite obscure singer is Mark Boals. He was in the Ted Nugent band (1984; but only as a bass player) Malmsteen's Rising Force, Ring of Fire and currently singer of Royal Hunt.

Furthermore you gotta love Jorn Lande. He was in too many bands to mention. Check him out people!

Also I like to mention:
Tony Martin (Sabbath)
Jeff Scott Soto (old work)
Robert Fleischmann (Journey, Vinnie Vincent Invasion and solo)
Bert Heerink (Vandenberg, Kayak)

toadsterama Jul-06-2009 11:05 AM

Jeff Scott Soto
Tony Carey
DC Cooper (Royal Hunt, Silent Force)
Terry Reid

Cheers...Todd

wolfysmith Jul-06-2009 12:59 PM

i dont think James Dewar, JSS or Robin Zander are that obscure!

but nevertheless i love all of them :thumbsup:

i would add to this Brian Connolly, Shawn Smith, Keith Caputo and Greg Rolie.

marieodonnelly Jul-06-2009 1:15 PM

I knew you would put Shawn Smith to this Wolfy! Yeah me thinks so too! I like Russell Allen from Symphony X power house or what! xxx

Shirean Jul-06-2009 3:20 PM

In no particular order...some not mentioned so far, on my list would include:

Steve Overland (FM)
Jackie Bodiemead (ex.Girlschool)
Jodie Turner (Rock Goddess)
Chris Ousey (ex.Virginia Wolf/Heartland)
Rob Rock (ex.various)
Dennis Churchill Dries (White Sister)
Terry Brock (ex.various)
Russell "Dwarf" Graham (ex.Killer Dwarfs)
Kelly Hansen (ex.various)
Dave King (ex.Fastway)
Bryce Barnes (ex.Edwin Dare)
Aldo Nova
Anouk
Kip Winger
Johnnie Dee (Honeymoon Suite)
Sandie Saraya
Jon Oliva (Savatage)

toadsterama Jul-06-2009 7:09 PM

JSS is not obscure, but Gregg Rolie is?! Tsk tsk...c'mon Paul, you're pulling my leg :D

I don't think of gazillion-selling singers like Robin Zander and Steve Walsh as obscure. But Walsh's replacement in Kansas, John Elefante, was.

Here's a few more:

Phil Lewis (Torme/LA Guns)
Gary Barden (MSG/Statetrooper/Silver)
Eric Adams (Manowar)
Tommy Heart (Uli Jon Roth)

Cheers...Todd

Chip Jul-06-2009 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisloeb (Post 39736)
.....Pete French was great on In Hearing of... Atomic Rooster, but somehow disappeared after that, did he? :huh: ...... Cheers, Christian

A few years ago Peter put together a new version of Leafhound, and a new album. www.leafhound.net I believe they also have a myspace.

CrazyW Jul-07-2009 4:07 AM

I agree that Robin Zander and Steve Walsh aren't really obscure, but they're definitely underappreciated as singers.

Wasn't Terry Reid almost the singer for Led Zeppelin? I know the name but I've never heard any of his stuff.

FCinnella Jul-07-2009 7:37 AM

This thread just shows you that "obscure" in most places is not so here !!
Imagine this thread on another site, and you can be sure Glenn would be mentioned !!
Love these lists, and agree that JSS and Rolie are not obscure but certainly not 'mainstream' names.
Steve Overland is awesome Shirean !!!

toadsterama Jul-07-2009 7:40 AM

I've only heard Steve Overland on the 'Tough It Out' album by FM. He reminded me of Michael Bolton a bit.

Terry Reid was invited by Jimmy Page to form what would become Led Zeppelin. Terry declined, and suggested Robert Plant instead. It may seem like he passed on a golden opportunity, but Zeppelin might not have attained the lofty heights they did if it was any other foursome than Plant/Page/Bonham/Jones. You never know...

Here's a couple other overlooked names:

Randy Jackson (Zebra)
Derek St. Holmes (Ted Nugent, St. Paradise, MSG, Whitford/St. Holmes)
Mark Free (King Kobra, Unruly Child, Signal)

Cheers...Todd

wolfysmith Jul-07-2009 2:59 PM

Todd,

i was thinking that Rolie left Santana in 71 and Journey in 80 so in effect he hasnt been in the limelight for 30 years. his back catalogue is great but he's an obscure artist in the present day so to speak.

I picked up his Gringo cd whilst in LA with you and Chip!

How about adding Kevin Chalfant to the list?

toadsterama Jul-07-2009 7:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfysmith (Post 39796)
Todd,

i was thinking that Rolie left Santana in 71 and Journey in 80 so in effect he hasnt been in the limelight for 30 years. his back catalogue is great but he's an obscure artist in the present day so to speak.

True...but after Santana and Journey he released several solo albums, the Abraxas Pool CD with the entire Santana band (minus Carlos), he did two albums with The Storm and his latest solo CD 'Roots' came out a few years ago. He continues to tour as well. So there :p

Todd

Paul J Jul-08-2009 1:58 AM

Sandi Saraya

Oh yeah she was good. Powerful! had one of her cd's no idea where it has gone now!

Paul

CrazyW Jul-08-2009 2:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul J (Post 39804)
Sandi Saraya

Oh yeah she was good. Powerful! had one of her cd's no idea where it has gone now!

Paul

She's married to Brian Wheat of Tesla I think.

Paul Jul-08-2009 2:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul J (Post 39804)
Sandi Saraya

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyW (Post 39805)
She's married to Brian Wheat of Tesla I think.

For a brief minute, they divorced in the mid '90s. She's since remarried...to an actor and has 4 kids...gave up the music along time ago by all accounts.

trapezoid Jul-08-2009 3:40 AM

One singer that comes to mind is Bob James. He joined on to Montrose when Sammy Hagar left. Bob was quite a ball of energy on stage, and had a good set of pipes.

CrazyW Jul-08-2009 1:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trapezoid (Post 39807)
One singer that comes to mind is Bob James. He joined on to Montrose when Sammy Hagar left. Bob was quite a ball of energy on stage, and had a good set of pipes.

Whatever happened to that guy?

chris spencer Jul-09-2009 5:44 AM

Nice to see John Lawton/ Pete Golaby / Bernie Shaw get a mention (all ex/current Uriah Heep).

How about............

Terry Slessor Wilson - Beckett/ Crawler singer
Kvein Cronin - REO Speedwagon - just check out You can Tune a Piano, Nine Lives and the Live - You get What You Play For albums.
John Sloman - Lone Star (ex Heep) Firing On All Six is awesome with him on vocals
Corey Glover - Living Colour singer

Thats all I can think of.

chutsler Jul-14-2009 4:49 AM

Chris, Sless is also one of my 'fave' singers!! Really enjoy listening to the Crawler albums!! :clapper:

chutsler Jul-14-2009 4:55 AM

Chip, Pete's latest incarnation of Leafhound released an album called 'Unleashed'.......definitely has that 70's feel! :thumbsup:

Chip Jul-14-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris spencer (Post 39833)
Nice to see John Lawton/ Pete Golaby / Bernie Shaw get a mention (all ex/current Uriah Heep).

How about............

Terry Slessor Wilson - Beckett/ Crawler singer
Kvein Cronin - REO Speedwagon - just check out You can Tune a Piano, Nine Lives and the Live - You get What You Play For albums.
John Sloman - Lone Star (ex Heep) Firing On All Six is awesome with him on vocals
Corey Glover - Living Colour singer

Thats all I can think of.

Chris, next time you play REO's You Get What You Play For album, listen real close, you might hear me on there. :lol: I was at the St. Louis show where some of those of tracks are from. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chutsler (Post 39902)
Chip, Pete's latest incarnation of Leafhound released an album called 'Unleashed'.......definitely has that 70's feel! :thumbsup:

Yeah Chuck, Unleashed has been on my want list for some time, just haven't got it yet. Do you have their Growers of Mushrooms album? Great album. Freelance Fiend is one of my favorite tracks.